Gorilla Motors and tracking smoke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

english_1969

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased a Gorilla 54mm 1050 motor and reload.

I just opened it up to check it out prior to flying this weekend and upon doing so noticed that there is no delay or 'tracking smoke' element.

The rocket I was planning to fly this with doesn't need motor deployment, but I'm left with a bit of cavity where the delay element would go.

I failed to purchased the plugged version of the forward closure :(.

So, questions:

1) Does Gorilla sell these delay element separately?
2) What's a good way to fill this void and make the non-plugged a plugged closure without making this a 'non-approved' motor.

Thanks,
W

What do the instructions say?

They should either tell you that you need a plugged closure, or how to handle this.

-Kevin

Fair question - I was trying to avoid removing the reload from the sealed packaging until the last minute. The instructions are in that packet.

I'll look at them tonight.

Hi,

I recently purchased a Gorilla 54mm 1050 motor and reload.

I just opened it up to check it out prior to flying this weekend and upon doing so noticed that there is no delay or 'tracking smoke' element.

The rocket I was planning to fly this with doesn't need motor deployment, but I'm left with a bit of cavity where the delay element would go.

I failed to purchased the plugged version of the forward closure :(.

So, questions:

1) Does Gorilla sell these delay element separately?
2) What's a good way to fill this void and make the non-plugged a plugged closure without making this a 'non-approved' motor.

Thanks,
W

Did you remove all the grains from the liner and inventory it. I place all the orings, fiber washers, etc including the smoke grain between all the grains so that if the packaging gets opened nothing falls out.

Last edited:
Now that is the kind of customer service that makes us all smile.:D
I have planned on buying motors from you...now I know I will.(Plus I'm partial to Green anodizing)
Thanks for caring Jim.

Great Idea stashing the delays and rings...I have purchased AT reloads that looked like someone played football with the bag for a while.

Jim,

THANK YOU!!!!

No, I didn't open it, so I'm sure everything is there. I was trying to do an initial inspection to make sure I had everything before i packed up to go to a launch tomorrow. Wanted to keep it in the sealed bag as long as possible.

Thanks for the superb customer service.

W

Did you remove all the grains from the liner and inventory it. I place all the orings, fiber washers, etc including the smoke grain between all the grains so that if the packaging gets opened nothing falls out.

Back