Gone Fission 2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But what does that thing do? Helicopter recovery?
Short version, CATO RECOVERY.

LONG VERSION (for those interested) as follows.

the outer portion of the rocket is Mat Board from Hobby Lobby designed for framing. the each Fin and side forms one integral unit, which I will call a fin/side, so four pieces form the full rocket contour (except for nose pyramid.

the rear ends of the fin/sides are held on by burn bands, the forward ends of the fin/side by a pyramid nose cone with sides that extend back. Nose cone is piston driven.

per RocketReviews, thrust duration of A8 is 0.72 seconds

https://www.rocketreviews.com/estes-a8.html

for a zero delay, I wonder if it might be less, with no clay cap, it may burn through faster.

in any case, there is enough thrust to get it about 10 feet off the rod. The burn though may not be as powerful as ejection charge, but it is enough to burn and sever the rear fin attachment bands and push the nose pyramid off the forward retention. Each fin/side has a short flame orange streamer (okay, it’s just caution tape.). There are also four attached to the rocket body.

0.72 seconds or so from ignition, the rocket disintegrates into 5 pieces. The four side/fin units and the rocket body tube/motor mount which is attached by shock cord to nose/pyramid. Goal is to keep everything within 20 feet of the pad.

I did learn I need to paint both sides of the fin units AND the body tube, on the desert floor can be surprisingly hard to find the 5 pieces for reassembly.

key is to tell the launch officer NOT to mention the recovery method, just to say Heads Up Flight or Spectacular Launch expected. Observers that are not expecting it seem to find it initially horrifying then amusing.

I know, I need to get out more.

Each fin/side has a short flame orange streamer (okay, it’s just caution tape.)
To enhance the CATO effect, you might make random cuts in the caution tape to approximate a flame job, and the flame tails would flutter a lot. Also, you might add a "charge" of black tracking powder (tempera).

Back