Glider front MOTOR eject feasible?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
I * LIKE * IT! Great technique when a 1/4" dia. paper punch can't reach far enough in or when you need a hole smaller than that. I'm going to save your tutorial in my "techniques" folder if you don't mind.
For a minimum diameter like what I'm doing, I always stick an expended motor casing in to support the tube. If larger, I'll use a coupler like in your example (I've smushed or creased enough tubes in earlier rookie attempts).

I like it!

If you can get the Ring Hawk (hows that for a blast from the past?) to fly, this outa be a cinch.

Hmm, a triangle is a Delta, so this could be the Delta Hawk.
Really like the Delta part! Now that its form factor is clear, I may as well solicit more names for this oddroc glider (or gliding oddroc?). I've only come up with Trihedron or *Trigon Falcon. Not happy with the 1st one and the 2nd name is absolutely underwhelming, so suggestions from the TRF aficionado are welcome.

* Greek for "triangle".

Last edited:
great idea. For the purposes of this build, I still think you need an internal reinforcement to prevent the rubber band cutting or zippering the tube. Although given the picture, just cutting a VERY short length of the coupler (say 1/8-1/4 inch) would to the trick.
Really like the Delta part! Now that its form factor is clear, I may as well solicit more names for this oddroc glider (or gliding oddroc?). I've only come up with Trihedron or *Trigon Falcon. Not happy with the 1st one and the 2nd name is absolutely underwhelming, so suggestions from the TRF aficionado are welcome.

* Greek for "triangle".
going back to Star Trek TOS, you always have
Triskelion.

Deltoid?

Other question.

What is the advantage of the open space between the forward and rear fin sections?

The second set of edges is going to crest a new drag leading edge.

What if the Forward edge was balsa and you PAPERED the whole thing to the rear edge.

Uncle Krushnic isn’t a problem because of the open frame.

Leading edge drag drops because you have cut the fin leading edge in 1/2, effectively gone from 6 to 3.

Surface drag goes up as more surface area, but I suspect the surface drag INCREASE is far less than the leading edge drag DECREASE.

You are exchanging the rear fin weight with paper of greater surface area, weight-wise may be a wash.

I don’t understand the physics of the Ring Hawk nor really this bird aside from a flat planar wing (no BENEFICIAL airfoil), but I would think more surface area would be a plus.

Again issue with plume-scorch, I see @Daddyisabar point of canted motors but unless you really extend the forward tube up to clear your leading fin edges, I'm not sure you are in the clear.

Last edited:
great idea. For the purposes of this build, I still think you need an internal reinforcement to prevent the rubber band cutting or zippering the tube. Although given the picture, just cutting a VERY short length of the coupler (say 1/8-1/4 inch) would to the trick.

going back to Star Trek TOS, you always have
Triskelion.

Deltoid?

Other question.

What is the advantage of the open space between the forward and rear fin sections?

The second set of edges is going to crest a new drag leading edge.

What if the Forward edge was balsa and you PAPERED the whole thing to the rear edge.

Uncle Krushnic isn’t a problem because of the open frame.

Leading edge drag drops because you have cut the fin leading edge in 1/2, effectively gone from 6 to 3.

Surface drag goes up as more surface area, but I suspect the surface drag INCREASE is far less than the leading edge drag DECREASE.

You are exchanging the rear fin weight with paper of greater surface area, weight-wise may be a wash.

I don’t understand the physics of the Ring Hawk nor really this bird aside from a flat planar wing (no BENEFICIAL airfoil), but I would think more surface area would be a plus.

Again issue with plume-scorch, I see @Daddyisabar point of canted motors but unless you really extend the forward tube up to clear your leading fin edges.
I have zero idea how the Ring Hawk can function as a glider (no airfoils to speak of), yet it does, and fairly well. :questions:

I wanted to try something really off-the-wall, and admit I'm basing it on those straw and paper ring gliders we used to build as kids. They worked, didn't know how, and didn't care, it was fun, it was something I built with my own hands, and Wheeee! it glided!

Years ago in a nostalgic (or maybe regressed) BAR moment, I built one of those drinking straw/paper ring gliders. Out of curiosity, I wondered if a different ring shape would work.

Yup, a triangle shape worked every bit as good!
It's been sitting on a dusty shelf for like 7 years, waiting for me to give it life as an upscaled version. Figured it's now or never.

Straw glider-TRIANGLE.JPG

BTW, I like Triskelion, despite it referring to a symbol with curved arms radiating out from a central point. Minor issue though, I could just ignore the definition since I like the way it sounds.

Last edited:
Back