Glider conversion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legopapa

Reaction score
I’m new to this forum and rocketry. I have an old 2meter glider that I’m finishing. It’s called the “wanderer.” It’s wing span is 76” and weighs 25oz. It calls for a two channel radio and an O.049 motor. I don’t have a radio, and I was wondering if I could put a rocket engine on it someplace and give it just a bit of a rudder bend so that it could climb under power and then circle gently (!) back down. Is this possible? My questions would be where to place the rocket engine and what size? Thanks for any help.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter205.pdf
This article talks about loading one wing vs. rudder. I think it is possible. Though depending on the wing design I would be concerned by angle of attack. And don't forget glide balance is achieved with an expelled rocket motor. And the type of motor is important. I flew rc gliders years ago and we used a high start. 100 feet of surgical tubing and a very long leed out. I'm guessing we Hit 400 ft. (kidding, Looked high though) I don't know how that would work with fixed surfaces. That itself would be a task. Very doable I would think.

Last edited:
I think it's going to be very, very difficult to get this trimmed so that it flies correctly on the first flight under rocket power without any control.

After just a few launches you'd he at the same cost as a radio and high start.

A much more enjoyable prospect, in my opinion.

Built-up gliders like the Wanderer don't handle free-flight landings very well. Ask me how I know. ;)

It's rare to have both wings weigh the same amount, so most gliders will already have a tendency to turn in the direction of the heavier wing. If it doesn't, I'd avoid warping the rudder to induce a turn. It may work for hand-launched gliders but a rocket-powered glider achieves much higher launch speeds, and since the effects of warping a surface are speed-dependant, it could cause the model to veer dangerously once it leaves the launch rod.

Better to add a small amount of clay to one wingtip to induce a gentle turn (50' radius). Don't overdo it—too much and it could cause a death spiral. Tilting the stab or having one wing slightly lower than the other is also an option, but it's hard to tell how much to use beforehand. It's much easier to weight a wingtip, as you can always reduce or add more clay during trimming, while it's more difficult to undo the angle of a wing or stab.

Thanks for all the input. A lot of good suggestions and options. I felt that this might be a long shot—lots of variables. On the other hand, it could be kind of fun. I’ll just wear a motorcycle helmet during testing!

careful of the comment regarding balance with an empty motor and not a loaded motor that only applies if your rock and motor is mounted ahead of the CG not behind it.

Back