Getting back into the hobby after a long hiatus

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatServant

Reaction score
My name is Alan. I started out in model rocketry in the mid 70s when I was in junior high school. Our school had a rocket club that met after school and I learned a lot about building rockets, determining whether they’re stable, launching them, and tracking their altitudes with inclinometers. I continued building and launching rockets for a couple of years after starting high school but then lost interest. After my wife died in 2021, I tried to come up with a new hobby to take my mind off it and eventually came back around to this old hobby.

Welcome back to the party Alan. Many of us have returned to the hobby after a number years and various “life” events. I hope you find a measure of enjoyment and peace as you get out in the field punching holes in the sky with the rest of us.

Last edited:
I spent about 10 years beating the air into submission with RC helicopters until I needed to attend to my wife’s health. Now my reflexes have really slowed down to the point where I’m not sure I could go back to RC helis (including the high crash expense), so I figured I could fly model rockets stress free.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry for your loss. My late ex- told me way back in the late '70s that she thought that I would "outgrow" the hobby. Nope.
The local NAR section, the Dallas Area Rocketry Society, has a meeting in Flower Mound this next Saturday and usually flies monthly in Gunter. We may take a break in August as we had so much fun in the sun at our July launch.

Details at: www.dars.org

We not only welcome all comers and all levels, but we also have a "stach" of rocketry supplies, kits, parts, etc open for purchase.

Chas

Welcome to the Forum. And welcome back. We have seven cats. All rescues. The last four were feral kittens whose mother was killed by a coyote so we trapped them and took them in. Now all the cats own the house. They just let us live here because we have thumbs. Not kidding about them owning the house. We have a Trust. In our wills if we go before the cats they get to live in the house until they die. We have set up a $10K payment per year for the person who will take care of them. I also volunteer with a cat rescue here. So I like your handle.

Latest posts

Back