(Gently) removing sparay paint from plastic - restoration?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dupli Color Chrysler Black Pearl. Looks even better in real life. The iPhone struggled getting the white balance right. It has a very deep look to it and has a ton of sparkle in the light.

I have pretty much switched to Dupli Color car paints. They work very well and I can prime, sand spray and top coat back to back about 10-30 minutes apart without the paint screwing up or running/sagging. Their build up primer and sealer are awesome for rattle cans. When you sand, dust is actually made instead of little gum ball of paint.

Jarod,

Question: Is the Duplicolor a "real" metallic meaning fine reflective metal in the pigment? Reason I asked is I had a Rustoleum rattle can metallic painted rocket
that was totally opaque to the 70cm/430Mhz Rf of a Beeline GPS tracker. In fact I know for certain it's opaque to Rf in that I had two rockets painted that
way and flew both the same day. One I found, one had a ballistic deployment of the main after apogee failure. The one that was found we had a visual on the other no. No Rf was received after the button was pushed in either rocket.

That's what I think of when I see metallic painted rockets. If it's a high flier what's the chances it will be tracked reliably?

Yes, the attenuation is dependent on power output and frequency. The one rocket recovered above I went through the motions of downloading the .kml track file
off the Beeline GPS expecting nothing. To my surprise, the GPS kept a 7 to 11 satellite lock throughout the flight to 10k'. Shows the GPS could receive the satellite signals through the paint though the Rf couldn't get out. Not only that, I had the Beeline set the stop recording once is got to the end of the memory. I didn't expect to turn it off until I got home. The .kml tracking file even showed where we went to a local pizza place after the launch. The GPS must have been facing up and receiving signals through my trunk!

Due to that reason, I won't paint a tracker bay with metallic paints. Now if another person says they've painted a few rockets with X,Y,Z metallic paint and
they've had no problem tracking with "Type X" Rf tracker I would consider it. It would be demoralizing to spend a lot of time and work on a rocket only to find
out your tracking setup only has a 1/2 block range on the ground. Not a good ide to fly under those circumstances.

BTW, absolutely beautiful results Jarod. I'm envious. Kurt Savegnago

Jarod,

Question: Is the Duplicolor a "real" metallic meaning fine reflective metal in the pigment? Reason I asked is I had a Rustoleum rattle can metallic painted rocket
that was totally opaque to the 70cm/430Mhz Rf of a Beeline GPS tracker. In fact I know for certain it's opaque to Rf in that I had two rockets painted that
way and flew both the same day. One I found, one had a ballistic deployment of the main after apogee failure. The one that was found we had a visual on the other no. No Rf was received after the button was pushed in either rocket.

That's what I think of when I see metallic painted rockets. If it's a high flier what's the chances it will be tracked reliably?

Yes, the attenuation is dependent on power output and frequency. The one rocket recovered above I went through the motions of downloading the .kml track file
off the Beeline GPS expecting nothing. To my surprise, the GPS kept a 7 to 11 satellite lock throughout the flight to 10k'. Shows the GPS could receive the satellite signals through the paint though the Rf couldn't get out. Not only that, I had the Beeline set the stop recording once is got to the end of the memory. I didn't expect to turn it off until I got home. The .kml tracking file even showed where we went to a local pizza place after the launch. The GPS must have been facing up and receiving signals through my trunk!

Due to that reason, I won't paint a tracker bay with metallic paints. Now if another person says they've painted a few rockets with X,Y,Z metallic paint and
they've had no problem tracking with "Type X" Rf tracker I would consider it. It would be demoralizing to spend a lot of time and work on a rocket only to find
out your tracking setup only has a 1/2 block range on the ground. Not a good ide to fly under those circumstances.

BTW, absolutely beautiful results Jarod. I'm envious. Kurt Savegnago

Hi Kurt,

I honestly don't know if this is a "true metallic" paint. It is listed at pearl. I don't see any mention of it being metallic. I do know that some "metallic" paints do not use real metal flakes. Without contacting Dupli, it would be a just a case. In my case. The nose cone is for a Mega Der Red Max, which might go about 1000' or just a bit higher, but clearly trackable without low cloud cover. I have read other posts regarding tracking units inside of rockets having issues with metallic paint, so if I ever start adding that kind of tech to my rockets, I will take that advice and paint the entire system or at least the AV bay with plain paint so as not to interfere with the electronics.

Back