GDJ's Oddrocket: The tripod handle-rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDJ

Semi-retired Rocketry guy
Reaction score
This started out as a joke, but as I worked thru the numbers on Openrocket, the less of a joke it became and it became reality.

The nose-cone-lid-bodytube-transition is a handle from a cheap camera tripod (y'know, the really bad ones that do everything EXCEPT keep a camera steady). It's hollow, about 1mm thick, the cap is rounded, and the piece that slips (glued actually) into the shiny bodytube has a 9mm hole thru it's axis. The nose assembly will house the 10cm (4") 4 string parachute and the wadding.

The shiny bodytube is home-made from office paper rolled on a chunk of 1/2" threaded rod from work, then wrapped with 4 feet of 1" wide Mylar tape (about 0.0005" thick).

The fins are 1.5mm 3 ply birch cut with a hobby knife, and knifed edged on the flight surfaces. They are mounted on a cardboard tube "fincan".

Without the stand, it stands at approximately 235mm or 9.25" long.

It runs on a Estes A3-4 engine (13mm size).

The scary thing is that OpenRocket simulates this rocket at just over 550 feet apogee. Even if it gets under that, it's a success!

P1020337.jpg

P1020338.jpg

Last edited:
Looks awesome.
FLY IT!!!

:cool:
Oh it will fly, but right now is only about 1/2 done.

What's left:

-Parachute
-shock cord mounting
-Launch lug placement

The last one is the tough part. This thing is so small and so light that a standard single launch lug with a short standoff will yank it right off course.
I may have to mount a 2nd launch lug 180º from the first one, or mount them on opposing fins to knock down the drag.

But I'm working on it! :)

EDIT: Made some dumb errors on OR pertaining to the recovery system. Too heavy and too large a chute. I corrected the errors and weighed the rocket as a whole.
Apogee is now 590 ft on a Estes A3-4 engine.

Last edited:
Finished the rocket tonight and painted the fin can and fins with white Epoxy paint. It's slow drying stuff, but when fully dry it's as hard as a rock and moisture resistant.

Mounted 2 launch lugs on opposing fins to balance out the aerodynamics. Looks interesting.

I don't get where the cone separates to release the recovery system:confused:.
In the pic it looks like the cone is taped to the airframe? Start splaini'n Lucy!

I don't get where the cone separates to release the recovery system:confused:.
In the pic it looks like the cone is taped to the airframe? Start splaini'n Lucy!

:D

No problem.

The nosecone assembly (small shoulder-transition-body tube) is actually one piece. The shoulder is 30mm long and is bored out with a 9mm hole (slightly under 3/8"). The nose cone is a short rounded cap at the top of the whole assembly. This houses the wadding, Micro-Parachute and shock cord, not the shiny body tube. That's simply a long engine mount with a fincan on the bottom.

Basically it's a hollow plastic handle that used to have a threaded rod in the end where it screwed into a camera mount assembly. I just modded it slightly to suit a 13mm bodytube and A3-4 engine.

P1020358.jpg

So, main rocket on the left, Parachute centred, Nosecone "cap" on right.
Front bodytube/transition is one piece, on the main rocket.

View attachment Geoff's tripod handle Micro-rocket.ork

Last edited:
Ah, I get it now, thanks for clarifying... and can I just say, that is one seriously home-made ugly-@ss chute: I like it!!!

so now he can do do the 'flying of the handle' routine :).
rex

Ah, I get it now, thanks for clarifying... and can I just say, that is one seriously home-made ugly-@ss chute: I like it!!!
:cool: :D

The Mylar in the center of the 'chute is on purpose. The two strips stuck together act like a hairspring that springs the 'chute open.....as long as the mylar strip doesn't get creased.

so now he can do do the 'flying of the handle' routine :).
rex

Hee hee! :D

Last edited:
UPDATE (Long overdue)

Rocket has flown 7 times, all successfully.

The original parachute was a piece of crap, so it got a new one made from a plastic Safeway grocery bag (the really crappy thin ones! :p)

It's not a real high flying rocket, but it is consistent and true, and that counts for alot.

UPDATE on this old girl:

Has flown 20 times, and the original office paper body tube has given out.

Now sports a new BT-5 tube, new 0.79mm fins, a proper standoff for the launch lug, and just for whimsy I glued on 3 more fins at the CG.
Looks meaner in a puny way.

Shortened up the body tube down to 100mm, and with the new fins it has a projected apogee of 705 feet. Not bad for a 13mm mini-motor. :cool:

Pics to follow soon....

Latest posts

Back