Garmin GTU 10?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Focal

Reaction score
Just found this:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=209&pID=67686

Looks like it would work fine for tracking a rocket once it has landed, and since it has an iPhone app, anyone with one of those could have GPS tracking for $200.

I can't tell, though, but I'm pretty sure that it broadcasts the GPS location via ATT's wireless carrier network, so if there is no ATT reception where you are, good luck finding it.

Still, could be neat for some people.

Anyone have any experience with it?

I use the Garmin Astro 220 with a DC20 unit. Works great. I had a nice hike to find my first L3 attempt (had a falcon transmitter on it) but the next 2 attempts I walked right to the rocket with the DC20. I used it this weekend to track a flight that drifted and it was nice because I could tell the people who's property it was on exactly where it was so they knew I wasn't just exploring.

Edward

Yeah, I looked a little more, and it seems that smaller unit does rely on cell-phone service, and after the first year it is a $50 yearly fee, so not really worth the money.

I built a simple Symbian tracking device,
that can be live tracking by FTP and SMS,

I used my old Nokia E71, so i can use the camera and GPS system from the phone at the same time,

Just donwload Afttrack, for symbian
problems with the certificate, modified your time back to 2007, and problem is resolved,

here is a link of the application

https://isohunt.com/torrents/AFTrack+v1.20

The Zoombak GPS locator from Best Buy sounds like the same thing, only less then half the price, $75. I don't know about the iphone app. The website subscription is $10 per month.

At a recent BattlePark launch a guy put one in his L2 cert MD 38mm with a J570W that got to over 11,000 ft. There were steady 15 mph winds and the rocket landed just shy of a mile away in the wood/swamp. He ended up walking right to it, brought it back and got his L2.

Last edited:
I've been using the GPS celtrackers fom China, about $45, plus a sim card($20) which is good for a few hundred text messages. The unit will send you a text of its GPS coordinates, which I copy & paste into a visualizer app on my iPhone. It will guide you like a heads up display, right to your rocket.

The last rocket's location that I used this on, "SABOT" can be seen on the screen, with a bearing, elevation and distance to target. You can also copy & paste it into google earth and it will show you the satelite image of you and the path to your rocket. The app is called "Spyglass", and i highly recommend it, if you have access to a smartphone.

Cheers,

PT

Tracker.jpg

Back