G138 Reload

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a great reload, but is there any reason why it's more expensive than an H128W?

Don't forget, it's a G138 that fits in the 29/40-120 case. For the H128, you'd have to have or buy a 29/180 case. If you only have the 29/40-120 case, it's a great opportunity to fly something larger than a G64. And it is only a buck more...

+ 1 for the G138T. I burned one this weekend in my 2.6 inch Groove Tube. It's probably the best flame you can get in the 29-40/120 case outside of the G64W. Plus it's blue.

Here is a still shot video capture:
Groove%20Tube%20G138T%2051411.jpg

+ 1 for the G138T. I burned one this weekend in my 2.6 inch Groove Tube. It's probably the best flame you can get in the 29-40/120 case outside of the G64W. Plus it's blue.

Great looking rocket and great looking flame! Hopefully I'll be launching a G138 this Saturday at Dairy Aire.

Just a friendly advice. Make sure you get a receipt when you purchased this load. A friend of mine got a nasty blister on his case from this load. Aerotech didn't want to cover it cause he didn't have a receipt but I told him to point out that since it was certified July 2010, its obvious he didn't have it for more than a year.

Which end of the motor had the blister?
Some times motor retainers can get in the way and cause an over heating of the casing.

That sounds like a poorly informed customer service rep. It might be standard procedure now, that there are quite a few old motors still floating around....

JD

Just a friendly advice. Make sure you get a receipt when you purchased this load. A friend of mine got a nasty blister on his case from this load. Aerotech didn't want to cover it cause he didn't have a receipt but I told him to point out that since it was certified July 2010, its obvious he didn't have it for more than a year.

Yes, I still have my receipt. By "nasty blister", does that mean it almost burn through the case?

The blister was on the forward end, where the motor would blister (like the original H220 did.)

It would of burned through the case eventually. Very characteristic blister located right where the liner ends and seal ring is. Not an o-ring failure since that will result in burns a tad further up in the case, and obvious torching around the threads. I seen many blistered cases, and seen many fwd o-ring failures (on both ends).

I had to go through a similar ordeal when I ordered two G53's as soon as they were available. Vendor did not send a receipt. And both reloads had one bad grain (large voids and bonding issues).

Funny thing happened one time I did have a receipt when a G71 cato destroyed my Sumo and RMS. They honored the G71 and case but at first didn't want to replace the Sumo, but I responded with a quote from their own warranty that said it was covered. LOL

Last edited:
I had no trouble with mine...
It was the first flight on the case, as I bough them just for this motor.

JD

The blister was on the forward end, where the motor would blister (like the original H220 did.)

It would of burned through the case eventually. Very characteristic blister located right where the liner ends and seal ring is. Not an o-ring failure since that will result in burns a tad further up in the case, and obvious torching around the threads. I seen many blistered cases, and seen many fwd o-ring failures (on both ends).

I had to go through a similar ordeal when I ordered two G53's as soon as they were available. Vendor did not send a receipt. And both reloads had one bad grain (large voids and bonding issues).

Funny thing happened one time I did have a receipt when a G71 cato destroyed my Sumo and RMS. They honored the G71 and case but at first didn't want to replace the Sumo, but I responded with a quote from their own warranty that said it was covered. LOL

Last edited:
Just bought my first G138T. Got it at the Hanger11 booth at the TARC Nationals. He must have been discounting them at $14. I would have gotten a few more, but I happened to get the last one he had on hand.

Hope it flies as well as I think it will.

I had no trouble with mine...
It was the first flight on the case, as I bough them just for this motor.

JD

Good :). So far I only heard of one case blistering issue. I hope that is just a fluke cause I would love to try some of those motors too :).

I've flown a couple, and seen a couple more, and I haven't noticed any case problems on any of them. I'd guess that it's a fluke.

(great motor too)

KILLER motor. Great backyard saucer motor. Only bad thing is, if you use that fancy wrench for the rear closure, it wont fit over the nozzle. I bought 2, still have one left.

KILLER motor. Great backyard saucer motor. Only bad thing is, if you use that fancy wrench for the rear closure, it wont fit over the nozzle. I bought 2, still have one left.

That's okay, I have a pipe wrench.

Ok, so this G is high power. What was the altitude on that tube rocket? From what I've been told some one with a Level one has to buy it for some one who doesn't have Level 1.

Am I correct?

Andrew

That is correct! The reason (in this case) is that any motor that has an average impulse over 80Ns is HP. IF there was a D85, it would also be considered a HP motor.

JD

Ok, so this G is high power. What was the altitude on that tube rocket? From what I've been told some one with a Level one has to buy it for some one who doesn't have Level 1.

Am I correct?

Andrew

Am I correct?

Andrew

I didn't have an altimeter in it but my eyes say it went 1000ft or so. You need a L1 or higher to purchase and fly it. You could have someone who is certified fill out the flight card and fly it for you.

NAR and likewise NFPA classify this motor as a high power rocket motor - both the g138 and the G75 irrevrently of the federal shipping class.
Based on 1 emit sparks, and doesnt meet modle rocketry code, and the other has too much impulse.

Both- according to(forthcomming or current revisions) of NFPA safety code should be flown from the H safe distance, Not the G safe distance.

Do you think any RSO can tell a motor classification of a G75M-HP as a high power rocket by intuition when the person flying it writes only AEROTECH G75.
when the flight itself is now outside the safetycode because it must be flown from the H safe distance. Not the G safe distance.

I am not arguing this as in its not "correct", i am pointing out the practicality of doing it write or wrong, is getting very muddy.

As an RSO, YES, I can tell because ANY RSO should be up to speed on such things or he/she shouldn't be doing RSO duty. It's called responsible club rocketry.

I'll be flying a cluster of four of them at NSL.

The same rocket will also fly on a cluster of four G75 metalstorms Friday at dusk.

Can't friggin wait!!

Back