G138 Reload

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
I just discovered the Aerotech G138 reload for the 29/40-120 case. Has anybody flown it? It looks like it would be good for those times you want more than a G64 but less than an H. I ordered two of them to try.

I saw one fly a few weeks ago. It has a very progressive burn, and packs quite a punch! :)

You are aware that it's a High Power Motor reload that happens to fit in a hobby line case?

In CA, that means you need to have all the licenses and permits to launch a High Power Rocket.

I just discovered the Aerotech G138 reload for the 29/40-120 case. Has anybody flown it? It looks like it would be good for those times you want more than a G64 but less than an H. I ordered two of them to try.

Who did you order them from? How much were they?

I have flown only one but based on that one data point, really like it. Instant ignition and a fast burn. I had been hoping for this load for years, ever since I burned my last G125.

this lowpower but highpower stuff is cracking me up.

G75m thats low power but doesnt make code so its high power....

if NFPA doesnt stop getting more conveluted by each session of revision, and the manufacturers dont stop pushing motors that are hard to "Classify" by the designation. there are going to be a lot of rockets flown this year outside of the safety code.

when it was just the G104.. it was easy...

Fabulous motor. Planned to fly another this weekend but I will be out of tow on a work trip.

if NFPA doesnt stop getting more conveluted by each session of revision, and the manufacturers dont stop pushing motors that are hard to "Classify" by the designation. there are going to be a lot of rockets flown this year outside of the safety code.

The manufacturers are making it easier to understand by using the correct designation of (HP)G138 or HP-G138 and not calling them simply G138.

There's nothing new here. The AT G75 has 66.8 grams of propellant. A hobby rocket motor with more than 62.5 grams of propellant is not a model rocket motor by federal law and has not be one for several decades.

Bob

There's nothing new here. The AT G75 has 66.8 grams of propellant. A hobby rocket motor with more than 62.5 grams of propellant is not a model rocket motor by federal law and has not be one for several decades.

Bob

NAR and likewise NFPA classify this motor as a high power rocket motor - both the g138 and the G75 irrevrently of the federal shipping class.
Based on 1 emit sparks, and doesnt meet modle rocketry code, and the other has too much impulse.

Both- according to(forthcomming or current revisions) of NFPA safety code should be flown from the H safe distance, Not the G safe distance.

Do you think any RSO can tell a motor classification of a G75M-HP as a high power rocket by intuition when the person flying it writes only AEROTECH G75.
when the flight itself is now outside the safetycode because it must be flown from the H safe distance. Not the G safe distance.

I am not arguing this as in its not "correct", i am pointing out the practicality of doing it write or wrong, is getting very muddy.

NAR and likewise NFPA classify this motor as a high power rocket motor - both the g138 and the G75 irrevrently of the federal shipping class.
Based on 1 emit sparks, and doesnt meet modle rocketry code, and the other has too much impulse.

Both- according to(forthcomming or current revisions) of NFPA safety code should be flown from the H safe distance, Not the G safe distance.

Do you think any RSO can tell a motor classification of a G75M-HP as a high power rocket by intuition when the person flying it writes only AEROTECH G75.
when the flight itself is now outside the safetycode because it must be flown from the H safe distance. Not the G safe distance.

I am not arguing this as in its not "correct", i am pointing out the practicality of doing it write or wrong, is getting very muddy.
It has nothing to do with shipping which is DOT - all rocket motors are hazmat when it comes to DOT - even micromax!!! Fortunately the USPS is more rational.

The definition of what is a model rocket motor comes from CPSC, FAA, and BATFE definitions in the CFRs, as well as NFPA 1125.

Yes, any qualified RSO, LCO and most safety check folks know the handful of model rocket exceptions, and if not, should have a copy of the combined list available to check to see if the motor is certified, and how it is certified.

Now let's get back on topic.

Bob

I sold 2 of my 29mm 40-120 motors a couple years ago. I wished that they had this motor years ago.... I had to buy 2 new ones & 6 of these loads when they came out!
Can you say cluster in a Thoy Nite Hawk along with some H220's & G80's?

JD

Getting back to the main discussion, the G138 is a fabulous motor. Packs a heck of a punch, and has a nice flame too.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31877&d=1287382003
https://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31878&d=1287382011

That's a Loc Bullet. It flies great on G and H motors :)

The G138T is a great motor. I've flown two so far, one in my Sunward King Tut pyramid and another in my Wildman Drago this past Saturday.

Even for a linerless motor, cleanup is surprisingly easy as the propellant is cast in a thicker than usual casting tube.

I've also got two more in my motor box.:wink:

You are aware that it's a High Power Motor reload that happens to fit in a hobby line case?

In CA, that means you need to have all the licenses and permits to launch a High Power Rocket.

even if it weren't HP designation, it's still a reload...california, useless rules lol :confused2:

even if it weren't HP designation, it's still a reload...california, useless rules lol :confused2:

You are absolutely correct and I did not mention that when I first responded because I did not want to sound too whiney.

People are trying to work on the law and regulations to fix them. I'm not sure how long it will take, but I really hope it takes less than the normal 3 year cycle.

The people working on it are real fire officers who also fly rockets (Model and High Power).

In the meantime, it's a good thing I have a large supply of 18mm and 29mm reloads produced before the change in policy - they are marked with the CSFM Classification as a "Model Rocket Motor" and can be flown as such. New production reloads will be marked "High Power Rocket Motor" (I've yet to see one of those).

Last edited:
Sounds like a great reload, but is there any reason why it's more expensive than an H128W?

It uses a slow Blue Thunder with larger AP crystals.. Smaller batches for fewer motors= higher costs per motor to make them.....
Besides, I had to pay hazmat so to justify it; I bought 6.

JD

Sounds like a great reload, but is there any reason why it's more expensive than an H128W?

It uses a slow Blue Thunder with larger AP crystals.. Smaller batches for fewer motors= higher costs per motor to make them.....
Besides, I had to pay hazmat so to justify it; I bought 6.

JD

It's basically as powerful as an H128 too - one is at the absolute upper end of a G, and the other is barely an H.

It all comes down to; who calibrated the test stand that day or which way the wind was blowing....

JD

It's basically as powerful as an H128 too - one is at the absolute upper end of a G, and the other is barely an H.

It only cost a buck more. $19 vs $18. AT needs to raise the price of the H128? :confused2:
They make LOTS of standard 29 mm White Lightning grains. The G138 uses a special propellant and unique grain geometry as well as special casting tube.

Just sayin. I realize the G138 may cost more to make, but maybe not. If I were AT I would charge more for the G138 because I can. They are in business to make money after all. It is a unique motor and pobably has high initial demand. Hey, we're all talking about it aren't we?

Back