Futuristic missile scratchbuild in the works

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill S

Reaction score
I've been busy busy designing rockets to build this year. Next up is a futuristic missile, inspired by the Estes QCC Explorer.

This should be 40" long, BT-80 sized tube, hoping to use some LOC 2.56 tubing if I can find any. I intend to use 1/8" plywood rear fins, and the rest of the "fins/strakes" are balsa (1"x1/2", 5/16" x 1/2", and 1/8"). Should fly on Aerotech F composites, with low-G a possibility (I'm not certified level 1 so my G choices are limited).

unnamed missile scratchbuild.png

I had a devil of a time tweaking the design; it was overstable initially, and it was challenging trying to get the engine's ejection delay to more closely match the "optimum delay" in Rocksim. Just about there, but as I don't have it built yet, nor the plywood on hand I can't weigh certain items to get an accurate weight. Same with glue/paint weight, though I've assigned that as 15% of the unbuilt weight in keeping with my previous builds.

I will have to cut off an BT-80 nosecone to get the rear transition - I had originally not wanted one, but it was the only way I could figure out to lower the stability below 2 for most motors.

Rocksim file attached, in case anyone wants to look at it, or offer suggestions.

Attachments

• QCC Explorer - V1.3 shorter tailcone ply rear fins.rkt
    157.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Neil, right now, I'm thinking white with gold nosecone, and black engine nozzle, but who knows? I did up an ESAM-58 in a greenish-grey and gold nosecone that looks good too.

Decals, not sure yet, probably some homemade ones. I could get a little crazy and come up with some alien-looking text though.

Back