Full 1:1 Scale Missile Builds?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 35735

Reaction score
Hello, all!

I saw an incredible super-scale AMRAAM L3 attempt at Red Glare last weekend and that got me thinking about what kinds of missiles or even very small meteorological rockets past or present would make for a good 1:1 scratch build to fly in the L-M motor range? Anybody have any ideas or experience with such a build? I’m a younger guy and not super well versed in military history so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I have always been a fan of the Loki, Super Loki, and Viper/PWN boosted dart family of rockets. Full scale, of course.

As well, the Talos/Taurus/Brandt; though highly unlikely as a 1:1 scale. Though, I dare anyone to try.....all 3 stages, of course. lol

I bought an magazine that had an almost 1/1 scale AIM-9 missile build. It used a L'Eggs Egg for the seeker head, and IIRC the canards were free moving to prevent them from becoming a problem with the stability of the rocket. Sadly, that magazine is in a box under my mom's house, and nobody else seems to remember it. I'd love it if someone could find that article and scan it for me.

The AGM-114 Hellfire has been done at 1:1 scale, by a few people if you search around.
Just remember that most missiles like this are VERY unstable as "dumb rockets". That's what lets them turn on a dime during an intercept, but means for our use: you either need to add a lot of nose weight, or non-scale rear fins to give a stable flight.

I've got a low power scale model of this I made several years ago. I've been kicking around the idea of a full-scale (or close) version for my L3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barak-1
The original missile is 6.9 feet tall, and 6.7 inches in diameter. Because of the slightly foreward position of the fins, and the resultant shift in the CP, the missile needs a bit of nose weight to assure stability. Beside that, it's just a regular 4FNC rocket.

I've got a low power scale model of this I made several years ago. I've been kicking around the idea of a full-scale (or close) version for my L3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barak-1
The original missile is 6.9 feet tall, and 6.7 inches in diameter. Because of the slightly foreward position of the fins, and the resultant shift in the CP, the missile needs a bit of nose weight to assure stability. Beside that, it's just a regular 4FNC rocket.
Ya gotta do this one, you'll have the only one in model rocketry.

The Skua and/or the Petrel, two British tube launched sounding rockets used from the 1950s - early 1980s.

Skua was 7.2' length, 5.1" dia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skua_(rocket)
The Petrel was just under 11' long and 7.5" diameter (so practically the same as LOC's biggest tubing...):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrel_(rocket)
Both rockets had a pretty ugly spiral seam running their entire length, designed to split in a controlled manner in the event of a cato to prevent shrapnel. So no need for any sanding after filling...😊

I did an almost scale rocket of the Russian Sagger ATGM about 3 years ago. Still haven't flown it. I remember a missile that armed the U.K. ASW helicopters. It was an anti-ship missile called a Sea Skua. It was tube launched from the helicopters. Might have been wire guided.

I recall seeing a full-scale Phoenix for L3 cert at an LDRS, many years ago. Don't know what motor they had in it, but it went up only about 1000 feet, the ultimate in low-and-slow.

Hello, all!

I saw an incredible super-scale AMRAAM L3 attempt at Red Glare last weekend and that got me thinking about what kinds of missiles or even very small meteorological rockets past or present would make for a good 1:1 scratch build to fly in the L-M motor range? Anybody have any ideas or experience with such a build? I’m a younger guy and not super well versed in military history so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Harpoon
xhsWqtg.jpg

I have a full scale (94% with PML 11.5" tubes) XM-47 Little John that I've flown on N-P motors. You could probably build one a lot lighter to take a full M.

Attachments

• 1914373_672915624546_4093658_n.jpg
    1914373_672915624546_4093658_n.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1914373_672915634526_4134437_n.jpg
    1914373_672915634526_4134437_n.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 0
Back