Foam Board

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timb

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a set of plans for an electric powered F22 that I would like to build as a companion model to my Dynasoar F22, problem is I'm sort of stuck over what material to build it out of. I'm new to foam board so I'm looking for some advice and practical experience.

RCDepron is listing only 3mm Depron in two sizes (for US purchasers), and what I need would be pretty pricey but then I would have enough to make a fleet of planes - even if I laminated two or three layers together to get a six or nine mm equiv. Seems a little extravagant. So I'm searching for alternatives before I take a plunge like that.

What are you guys using? There's some talk of very inexpensive foam board with paper laminated to both sides - do you peel off the paper? Does it peel easily or do you need to soak it off? Is there something better available?

If you're looking for thicker foam, check at big-box home improvement stores for something like this to see if it might do. Lowes, Home Depot, Menards all carry half-inch-thick sheets for about US$15. It may or may not be rigid enough.

This is extruded styrene foam, not "beadboard".

Hello,

I have a set of plans for an electric powered F22 that I would like to build as a companion model to my Dynasoar F22, problem is I'm sort of stuck over what material to build it out of. I'm new to foam board so I'm looking for some advice and practical experience.

RCDepron is listing only 3mm Depron in two sizes (for US purchasers), and what I need would be pretty pricey but then I would have enough to make a fleet of planes - even if I laminated two or three layers together to get a six or nine mm equiv. Seems a little extravagant. So I'm searching for alternatives before I take a plunge like that.

What are you guys using? There's some talk of very inexpensive foam board with paper laminated to both sides - do you peel off the paper? Does it peel easily or do you need to soak it off? Is there something better available?

The inexpensive foam board you speak of is available at the craft stores like Hobby Lobby or Michaels. It is fine for architectural models and craft projects, but probably not for anything that needs to be durable like an RC plane. It is styrene foam with paper skins on each side, the paper provides all the rigidity, so no, you cannot peel it off.

All the UK RC magazines seem to indicate limited availability of Depron sheets. Limited demand, so less supply.

You might need to laminate the 3 mm Depron as you suggest.

rcdepron has a container on order which will have more 6mm and now 9mm but won't be in till the spring I think, it is far superior than any other foam board in my opinion, but a lot of people make a lot of planes from flite test foam board, but as said all the strength is in the paper, get a crease the strength is gone, and it is heavier than depron. You have to watch painting the paper as solvents can soak through and delaminate it from the foam underneath. I don't like working with hot glue, it's heavy and messier than CA's. Flite test foam board is better than most however and I don't think it is that expensive, what was the F-22 plans you have intend it to be built out of? BTW laminating 3mm is heavier than pure 6mm or 9mm btw as you have adhesive weight and the thinner sheet is slightly more dense.

Last edited:
rcdepron has a container on order which will have more 6mm and now 9mm but won't be in till the spring I think, it is far superior than any other foam board in my opinion, but a lot of people make a lot of planes from flite test foam board, but as said all the strength is in the paper, get a crease the strength is gone, and it is heavier than depron. Flite test foam board is better than most however and I don't think it is that expensive, what was the F-22 plans you have intend it to be built out of? BTW laminating 3mm is heavier than pure 6mm or 9mm btw as you have adhesive weight and the thinner sheet is slightly more dense.
And half of the container is yours Frank?:)

Flite test foam board is better than most however and I don't think it is that expensive, what was the F-22 plans you have intend it to be built out of? BTW laminating 3mm is heavier than pure 6mm or 9mm btw as you have adhesive weight and the thinner sheet is slightly more dense.

Tim McKay featured a foam F22 from plans on his YouTube channel - It's a simple matter to download the plans (a link in the description), print it on 8.5 x 11 and then hit the Fed Ex store (there's one in the lobby of the building I work in) for a full size printout. I actually went a little smaller for a 22-inch span which is almost exactly the same size as the RG kit from Dynasoar. I may go ahead and get some 3mm Depron and laminate; I know it'll be heavier and I'm always careful of "building in lightness" as the glider-guider always cautioned but I think for a powered aircraft it won't be so much more that it would spoil the project. I'm still not able to convince myself I want 40 sheets at $210+ delivered though so I may need to get a little creative with the smaller size. Guess I better get down off the fence and do something or my options will close.

BTW laminating 3mm is heavier than pure 6mm or 9mm btw as you have adhesive weight and the thinner sheet is slightly more dense.
That's good to know.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, everyone -

If you're looking for thicker foam, check at big-box home improvement stores for something like this to see if it might do. Lowes, Home Depot, Menards all carry half-inch-thick sheets for about US$15. It may or may not be rigid enough.

This is extruded styrene foam, not "beadboard".

There's a discussion on one of the RC aircraft forums using a hot wire cutter to slice this same material into thinner sheets and even cut in airfoil shapes, so it's a good option and a good suggestion. Something I may give a whirl.

The inexpensive foam board you speak of is available at the craft stores like Hobby Lobby or Michaels. It is fine for architectural models and craft projects, but probably not for anything that needs to be durable like an RC plane. It is styrene foam with paper skins on each side, the paper provides all the rigidity, so no, you cannot peel it off.

All the UK RC magazines seem to indicate limited availability of Depron sheets. Limited demand, so less supply.

You might need to laminate the 3 mm Depron as you suggest.

Interesting; if the material is inexpensive you can just make a new one when the one you're flying wears out; the radio and power equipment can be used again in something else. At the moment I'm only about $5 into this project so we'll see where it goes!

Yes if running an electric you can get away with a lot more weight and you have a large battery you can move around for CG, for rocket gliders you are a lot more limited. I'd follow his plans and use flite test foam board for the F-22 and see what you think of using that material. In the end the foam cost even for depron is trivial compared to the electronics.

Tim McKay featured a foam F22 from plans on his YouTube channel - It's a simple matter to download the plans (a link in the description), print it on 8.5 x 11 and then hit the Fed Ex store (there's one in the lobby of the building I work in) for a full size printout. I actually went a little smaller for a 22-inch span which is almost exactly the same size as the RG kit from Dynasoar. I may go ahead and get some 3mm Depron and laminate; I know it'll be heavier and I'm always careful of "building in lightness" as the glider-guider always cautioned but I think for a powered aircraft it won't be so much more that it would spoil the project. I'm still not able to convince myself I want 40 sheets at $210+ delivered though so I may need to get a little creative with the smaller size. Guess I better get down off the fence and do something or my options will close.

That's good to know.

Being in the graphic arts industry for many years I have used many types of foam board (foamcore) papered on both sides. Unless you use it thick enough it has the bad response to weather conditions…which means it can curve in high humidity. We used to use a foamboard that was laminated with very thin plastic years ago instead of paper . I think it was called Gator Board and held up much better and still very light weight and cheap). I think it was a styrene type plastic And not pvc. Now days they make a foam board using PVC plastic instead of paper…you may want to try that instead as it will be much more rugged….not sure about the weight though…but it must be a lot more than paper laminate foam board.

I've had good luck making beater planes out of Adams Readiboard. It's $1/sheet at Dollar Tree and that's what FliteTest folks started with before getting a water resistant foam board (FliteTest foam board) made by Adams. Readiboard works best when folded to make airfoil shapes, but it will work in profile planes, too.

Lots of good info in this thread. I'm going to make several sets of foam board fins for my horizontal spin recovery models, as they need help in the fin durability department. I've already got the first set installed. I need a weather window for paint and another for flight test - hoping for next week.

Covering Adams Readiboard (Dollar Tree Foam Board, or DTFB for short) with packing tape will stiffen and waterproof it. The paper will easily peel off to bend the board. Check out videos like this one from Experimental Airlines:

The fins on this rocket are DTFB and packing tape.

E62E0CDE-B93A-46DA-A33A-39B53B35A529.jpeg

I have used clear and colored packing tape with great success on Frank’s depron RCBGs to stiffen them and add color, or not.

F263AA2F-1655-47BB-A123-A4808237DF67.jpeg

F038C13E-C5D5-4C27-8831-BE767855490E.jpeg

FFDC8C61-F88B-4645-8935-5C81A75590E3.jpeg

0E0DE876-49DA-4B1F-8F10-100086FD55E0.jpeg

Last edited:
Back