Flying Fur

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramer714

Reaction score
My kid put together his oddrock for LDRS, called flying fur. it is 2 long paint rollers for the body tubes, 6 small paint rollers for the tubefur fins, and half a tennis ball for the nosecone. 24mm mount and with chute and motor weighs in at 450 grams.

The kid designed it, when he asked me how to simulate it in rocsim, i drew a blank. Resorting to old school, we swing tested it. Funny thing, IT IS STABLE FORWARDS OR BACKWARDS! Once one end started pointing forward (nose OR tail) it stabalized and swung in a perfect arc.

I'm guessing that the VERY high drag of the furtube fins acts more like a plate creating base drag. This shoves the Cp aft regardless of what direction it is flying.

Despite the strange results since it was so stable I don't have a problem flying it, I do plan to use the shortest delay I can find! I'm thinking an E30 and a long rod.

The dog has the better fur, but poor ballistics

fur flying 1.jpg

fur flying 2.JPG

My son did a Pringles can rocket for LDRS 25... Good "up" part (at least)...

Well, not really. BUT,its so cool when someone comes up with something like this. SWEET! I love Oddrocs. Nice job on them . OH ya- If I put that on my dogs feet-it would mean that it belongs to him now. Its MY TOY now and donnt touch it!! He wouldnt get agrresive but I would for sure have to store that rocket out of his reach. Thats just the rules the DOG has laid down in our (his) house.:roll::roll::roll:. Scotty Dog

If you like that kind of stuff, head over to EMRR and check out the DESCONs -- one of them, about 10 years ago, had a theme of "found parts".

Paint rollers, pill bottles, enema applicators....all sorts of weird stuff was used.

-Kevin

The flying fur had 2 flights at LDRS

Flight one, Aerotech F26 single use, straight flight, no wiggle or spin, deployment at apogee - Perfect!

Flight two Aerotech Reloadable F39, semi stable, lots of wiggle and wobble, marginal flight, good chute and recovery.

we didn't account for the added weight of the case, a bit of weight in the nose and it would have been perfect!

The fur did fly!

A couple of years back, I was inspired to build “Fast ‘n Furriest” after talking a colleague about laminar flow over a smooth fuselage. What would a paint roller do?

Attachments

• 1DAA28FC-D673-4EF0-B7F0-ECB07F272B13.jpeg
    1DAA28FC-D673-4EF0-B7F0-ECB07F272B13.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 13
Sooooooo.....what did it do?

Well it took several attempts, and it took an F15 to get it up in the air safely. The E just couldn't do it. Fortunately, the tube could accommodate an F or 29mm motor. The adapter for the E had to be modified because I was working around the motor clip. One strts with an idea, and the choices are dictated by that initial decision. Our RSO is intrigued by the challenges I put myself through. He doesn't always approve, but he is curious enough about the results, he has to see for himself. The only real way to collect thedata would be to build a wind tunnel, and I'm not that interested in that. Keeping it clean is sometimes a pain, it collects organic debris pretty easily.

On a related thought, I found a terry cloth facecloth with all this pine needle debris on it It was a bright blue color I haven't seen in my house ever, I thought a wash would clean it up easy enough. Wrong. I am ready to toss it in the trash after three washes and spending I don't know how many hours with the vacuum and my fingers trying to pick all the debris out!

Back