Flyer Dropping

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iGGiE

Reaction score
I don't know if there are any UK pilots or anybody else that would have some knowledge of aviation law in the UK?

But i am looking into the viability of a publicity stunt that would involve dropping flyers from a light aircraft over the crowd of a rock concert. Obviously i would want to ensure this is done safely and legaly (i don't wanna go to jail!!).

I have spent some time searching the internet for information relating to this, but i have been unable to find anything usefull?

Any ideas??

Cheers,

iggie

Originally posted by iGGiE
But i am looking into the viability of a publicity stunt that would involve dropping flyers from a light aircraft over the crowd of a rock concert.

I assume that you mean leaflets? Flyers is also correct but when I first saw the post I thought, "Why are they throwing perfectly good pilots and passengers out of the plane"? I also thought of another flyer dropping but it's more suited to an Animal Planet show...

Heh Heh, well.... dropping pilots and passengers out of a plane over a rock concert would certainly get publicity!! Probably not the kind of publicity my band wants tho!!
Guess i'll just have to stick to leaflets.

iggie

"By the grace of God, I thought Turkeys could fly... They're hitting the pavement like bags of wet cement!" -Les Nesman, WKRP

You might be liable for littering..
And you might be liable for assult; if someone wants to sue for receiveing a paper cut..

Next is to call the local airport. Call and ask to speak to someone about FAA regulations, and after a bunch of people, you'll eventually get someone who can help you.

You might need to speak to the concert organizers and the city for approval, otherwise you might be liable for "barging in" on the concert, and going against city by-laws.

How about have this large inflatable pig fly over the crowd... sorry been done before.

Next is to call the local airport. Call and ask to speak to someone about FAA regulations, and after a bunch of people, you'll eventually get someone who can help you.

If the FAA tries to regulate this, I think he'll have some kind of international incident on his hands. <grin>

From FAA Sec. 91.15 - Dropping objects.

No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

In the UK the rules may be different, of course.

Originally posted by Dr Wogz
"By the grace of God, I thought Turkeys could fly... They're hitting the pavement like bags of wet cement!" -Les Nesman, WKRP

One of my favorite episodes in TV history.

I think probably the best thing i can do is write to the Civil Aviation Authority (the UK equivalent of th FAA) and see what they say.

I can appreciate that they would probably have regulations on dropping items from aircraft much like the FAA, allthough i only want to drop paper, it's not like i want to drop bricks or something.

iggie

Something else that may come into play with the Civil Aviation Authority is the concern about overflight of a large public gathering. Since 9/11, the rules in the US have probably changed, and the UK might very well have raised the same concern for public safety.

WW

I'm thinking you may have more trouble with local litter laws and anti-terror laws than the CAA.

I think you shoudl get about a thousand or so of those little parachute men (what you get at toy store, for about 25p) affix your message to them, and then drop them!

It'll be like Lilliputians are invading!!

(Those little people from Gulliver's travels)

Back