Fliskits Praetor #58

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seo

Reaction score
In the process of building my FlisKits Praetor, production number 58.

First impression - another quality Fliskits kit.

So far I have installed the motor mount and sealed the nose cone and transition with Elmer's Fill n' Finish. I have cut out and shaped and sanded the fins. To get the beveled edge on the leading and trailing edge as per the instructions, I masked the fins 1/4" from the edge and then sanded. This made sure I had a straight line on the beginning of the bevel. I sealed the fins by dry rubbing Elmer's Wood filler, ala the method described by Carl T. in another thread. I have to say that was much easier than using the fill n finish. I am a convert to this dry rub method.

I will post some pictures in my next post (may be a day or two)

Praetor: noun (in ancient Rome) any of several senior magistrates ranking just below the consuls
[ETYMOLOGY: 15th Century: from Latin: one who leads the way, probably from praeire, from prae- before + ire to go]

Scott

SOunds like you're enjoying the Praetor.

Thank you for providing the definition here. And to answer someone elses question about the Praetor (can't remember the thread), it is pronounced: Pray - Tor

can't wait to see pix! I got to see 2 of them fly at CMASS the other day!

jim

It is a great kit and fun to build. Here is a picture of mine on the pad.

And another of it in flight. Very nice slow flight, which is probably why I got a picture of it.

that is a VERY unque paint scheme, and I love it! I will have to consider something like that when I rebuild all of my kits this winter.

and great liftoff shot too. This is one of the things that I really like about the Praetor; the slow liftoff and gradual climb to apogee. She is a very neat flier.

very cool, thanx!

It is a fun kit. One caution, watch high thrust motors. I lost two of my fins on an Apogee D10. I think they stick out there so far that the D10 was too much. Interestingly though the rocket still had a great flight.

I am going to repair the two fins with two short fins to give the rocket a unique look.

Regards,
Nick

I doubt the Praetor could survive a D10 even with TTW fins! I gotta beleive that under that kind of speed the fin-tip flutter would be BRUTAL!

Originally posted by jflis
I doubt the Praetor could survive a D10 even with TTW fins! I gotta beleive that under that kind of speed the fin-tip flutter would be BRUTAL!

Errr, was brutal ;)

But it is going to look cool with two long fins (opposite sides) and two shorter fins on the repair. A new look for a recycled rocket.

Nick

I built my Praetor per instructions but I changed it to a zipperless design. I installed the eyehook into the balsa transition and drilled 5 holes radially around the eyehook. I used a kevlar shock cord about 3 ft long. Since I wanted to fly it on 18mm aerotech reloads I reinforced the fins by tacking them in place with CA, then poked holes with a pin around the fins and forced 5 min. epoxy into the holes and to the root edge with my finger. I used Super Patch epoxy putty for the fillets. My first flight was on a D13-7 reload. A beautiful flight way high into the Eastern Oregon desert sky. No problems and a perfect recovery. The second flight later in the day into a fifteen MPH wind resulted in it floating away under canopy into the sagebrush 2 miles downwind. Searched for two hours and couldn't find it. This took place in June. In September I ordered another one from Jim flis. One week later at a launch in Sheridan Oregon a man walked up to me and haded me the wayward Praetor and my 18mm casing. Awesome rocket! Now I will have 2 to drag race!

Thanks Jim!

brrrett! Welcome to TRF! Great review of the Praetor. The excitement of your post shines through. You were quite fortunate to have someone find your rocket! That's awesome! Honesty amongst rocketeers is a great quality that I think runs true.

sramberg, outstanding paint scheme choice. The contrast of yellow tips on the fins give the fins a different shape appearance. I dunno, it looks fast sitting there. Nice job!

I've seen Rhino's drag race and Deuce's Wild!'s also. Now a Praetor drag race would be awesome! Those large fins would really set it apart as a unique drag race.

Great that you got it back! What was the condition of the model after months in the wild??

jim

After 3 months in the high desert the only real damage was a small split in the balsa transition and some critter had knawed on one fin. Very dry environment .

Brett

Finally got the launch lugs put on and the shock cord installed. Here is a pic of the unpainted Praetor. Thinking about paint schemes now....

Also started my DW as you can also see in this pic. Installed the motor mount last night.

Scott

Also, built entirely with yellow glue (Titebond) except for the motor mount installation, used Elmer's white glue for the upper ring to the BT so I would have a longer time to insert properly.

Scott

Originally posted by Fore Check
Why the big standoffs on the launch lugs on the Praetor?

See this thread for the explanation from Jim Flis:

praetor

Scott

Hey, Scott,

Your Praetor looks awsome. Can't wait to see it finished. Let us know how the flights turn out. More pics....

After seeing your pic makes me want one. (cha-ching, says Jim)

Back