FlisKits: DOM contest is closing end of May

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
From the first paragraph of our site announcement:

It is with great sadness that we must announce the closure of our celebrated Design of the Month contest. It is our sincere hope this this is just a short term event and that we will be able to open this contest again in the very near future.

The DOM will continue through the month of May, 2005 and will end with the announcement of the winner for May.

Please understand that we are doing this for our contestants and our customers foremost. We know that our inability to keep the DOM site fresh and the entries current and up to date is a frustration and a disservice to those who spend the time putting together an entry and sending it in.

We do not want to continue like that and do not plan to re-open the contest until we feel we can properly administer the entries and the responsibilities of this event.

You can read more details by clicking here.

A special thank you to everyone who has entered our DOM contest. Keep watch. I doubt it will stay closed forever :)

warmest regards to all
the gang at FlisKits.

Jim,
Sorry to see that DOM is closing. For a while there we had so many design contests (RMR Descon, DOM, Deuce-Bash, BRS Descon) that they were spreading the pool of good designs pretty thin. Now the contests are coming to an end.

I hope you are able to bring back the contest later in the year. Maybe by then there will be a nice backlog of good ideas built up.

Yep, I was thinking of that as well.

Another thing that I need to do is to put an ad in all of our kits. One of the drawbacks at the moment is that the contest is pretty much restricted to those modelers who are on the web looking at/for rocketry stuff.

There is a large segment of rocketeers who do not web-surf for rocketry. They buy our kits but are probably unaware of the contest. This is something else that I will fix before bringing it back.

Another thing will be the addition of a DOM Check List. Sometimes we get designs that are as well documented as a FlisKits production kit. Other times we get a photo of the model and a 2 line description. I want a little more consistancy with each entry. The main goal is to provide enough information that someone reading the entry would be able to reproduce the design.

jim

:( Bummer on the DOM.
Is the Deuce Bash still alive and well?:confused:

YES

The Deuce Bash is alive and well. Not impacted at all by all of this, so keep the entries coming in! :)

jim

but I understand (and sympathize) completely. When your personal schedule consistently runs 99 percent full, it's just not fun any more.

I think you have a great idea to use a checklist for submittals. I think even young rocketeers need to develop the habit of writing a good report. Only drawback I see: there are a lot of lazy rocketeers out there that your increased reqmts will drive off.

Bring back the contest when you have time, in the mean time, you do what you can--

Back