Flis Kits BRC!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicagonative17

Reaction score
This is the official location of the NEW TRF Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 21st until the end of the month will be polling to see who should win the Best Rocket Competition. If you so happen to win, Flis Kits has offered to supply a free rocketry component or kit!

This months competition is: ANYTHING!

1. Header of picture must include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR.
2. A BRIEF discription of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per month.
4. No extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.
6. Can only have a rocket in competition ONE time.
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of everymonth the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month will be polling on who should win in each class.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

Good luck to you all... AND HAVE FUN!

Well, I guess I will start this show and tell for the month! :) May I present to you The Reaver! We are all aware it is a BoRocks kit, unique ring finned(well with some help)..This is a 3x24mm cluster motor eater flying on either D12-3's or -5's ..I have modded the pod tubes with engine blocks so when she goes up will also be with 3 13mm A10-PT motors..Was one heck of a fun build and I feel honored to be 1 of only 25 to get this fine kit- thank you for that honor Gerald! I used a number of paints on the finish to make this one WOW on the launch pad and on display...The main body is painted using the Duplicolor Mirage color changing red/blue kit-and YES it does change color but wasn't able to capture with the camera. The nose cone is done in Testors Grape Pearl, ring outer is colorplace gold with Krylon Ivy Leaf going on the fins..Pod tubes are black with red pin striping, and pod nose cones are silver..Just barely visible the inside of the ring is orange..

Take a look and thank you in advance if you choose to vote for me..:)

https://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t21/Pantherjon/Reaver016.jpg

Okay since this is a Fliskit competition it should have rockets that are a bit out of the ordinary. I thought this would fit in just fine. It's called the Dunk R' Licker. It was originally one those put the ball in a cup games/lollipop/noise maker. My brothers wanted it to fly so I decided to give it a try.
DSCN0231.jpg

Believe it or not, it works great with an A10.:D
DSCN0234.jpg

I never enter contest but I will this time.

My "Smokin' Deuce".

A body shortened to 14"shortened to 14" Deuce's Wild (for scale) and a custom nose.

Actually the nose cone was made from smaller scrap pieces glued together.

;)I have really good scrap parts.:D

This one hasn't flow yet but I made an identical one for Jim and flew it at NARAM 49 so I know it flies.

Okay since this is a Fliskit competition it should have rockets that are a bit out of the ordinary. I thought this would fit in just fine. It's called the Dunk R' Licker. It was originally one those put the ball in a cup games/lollipop/noise maker. My brothers wanted it to fly so I decided to give it a try.
DSCN0231.jpg

Believe it or not, it works great with an A10.:D
DSCN0234.jpg

Now *that's* creative! :)

I never enter contest but I will this time.

My "Smokin' Deuce".

A body shortened to 14"shortened to 14" Deuce's Wild (for scale) and a custom nose.

Actually the nose cone was made from smaller scrap pieces glued together.

;)I have really good scrap parts.:D

This one hasn't flow yet but I made an identical one for Jim and flew it at NARAM 49 so I know it flies.

Yep, and I've flown it several times now :) (thank you, by the way! :) )

My submission is a clone of the Centuri Stiletto.

Last year, I saw this design while looking through early 1970s catalogs online, and it really popped out at me. The combination of the sleek design, crisp paint scheme, and the long-gone days of small two stage birds is what makes me like this one.

The parts are almost entirely Semroc, including interior details such as the dual paper streamers and pre-punched passport coupler. The decals are from Excelsior, the white really pops out on the red & blue paint. I followed the Centuri instructions to a tee, right down to slotting the BT for the shock cord. I decided to keep square edges on the laser cut fins since it seems to fit with the crisp paint scheme, and I really wasn't interested in maximizing altitude. This is the catalog paint job, though instead of painting white over the blue & red as the instructions suggest, I painted a gloss white undercoat, and masked off triangular sections when painting the top coat.

The first launch, just last weekend, was a beauty. I used no tape to hold the engines together, relying on the Centuri passport staging to delay separation just long enough for the sustainer to ignite. The sustainer ignited at maybe 50', topped out at probably 500', with ejection at or near apogee. Thanks to a very powerful ejection charge on the A8-5, the shock cord snapped clean, and it now needs a new nose cone. These pics were taken before launch.

Stiletto1-lo.jpg

Stiletto2-lo.jpg

O.K. I guess I'll enter. I Feel Guilty note entering a Fliskit, But the Rose-A-Roc is semi-next in the build queue.
I will enter my GoonyCeptor. Pics below.
It is LPR, 18mm, made mostly from a Baby Bertha, as all good Goony's should be.

DSCF0006[1].jpg

DSCF0007[1].jpg

DSCF0008[1].jpg

My entry is an original Shrox Hyperion. It has the classic ping-pong ball look, used in some of the Shrox kits. It flies on D size motors.

hyperion1.jpg

Since Flis is sponsoring, I'll kindly return the favor an enter my US Tog that I completed this month.;)

Attachments

• US-Tog-Driveway.jpg
    US-Tog-Driveway.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 0
  • US-tog-full-on.jpg
    US-tog-full-on.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 0
  • US-Tog-Right.jpg
    US-Tog-Right.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 0
  • US-tog-Fins-and-ramjets.jpg
    US-tog-Fins-and-ramjets.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Tog-on-Pad.jpg
    Tog-on-Pad.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 0
...and finally a HPR steps into the ring. ;)

This lovely specimen is the awesome 3" LOC/Precision Black Brandt X. I bought it at Midwest Power 5 along with a LOC/Precision Weasel (but that's a different story for a different time). It has a 38mm motor mount, and flies on G, H, and I class motors. Since this is my first HPR, I decided to make it stand out, thus the Red/Black livery, and my favorite part, the slogan "L1 or Bust!" It has yet to take to the sky.

bbx.jpg

I'd like to enter my simple looking "Basket Case" rocket. It might not be a show stopper in its looks but it a good preformer. Its construction is a length for 4" linoleum floor core tube, motor tube was made out of a 38mm tube from a roll of heavy duty trash bags. The centering rings made from wall paneling plywood with TTW fins made out of the same plywood source and covered with light weight wall spackling to fill the groves, the nose cone was purchased on ROL auction, uses a 12' length of 1' nylon tiedown strap for a shock cord, a 34" umbrella for a chute, Flat black for a base coat of paint with 1x3" sign vinyl strips of 6 differnt colors to creat a basket weave pattern on the body tube. Its first flight was on a AT G80 and flew good and straight, second flight was on a AT J350 to an Alt. close or over 5k' for my L2 and it did great.

basket case.jpg

Is it to late to enter if I post my rocket tonight (1/21/08)? Rules leave some uncertainty

In the header "From the 21st until the end of the month”

and

"8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of every month the contest closes."

you have until midnight of the 21st, but due to my own schedulle, sometimes I can't get the polls up until later times. I know there is uncertainty, but I'll take any entree that is posted before the polls come up, and the polls won't come up until midnight the 21st at the earliest.

Since this is the FlisKits BRC, I think I shall enter my Deadman's Deuce. It's a modified Deuces Wild, as you can see below. For info on the build check out the build thread at https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=38863&highlight=double+deuce

She's a mean pirate ship out to terrorize the space lanes with her 4 forward facing gun emplacements (B-25 inspired) and her 2 heavy turrets. Being a pirate ship she also has her fair share of scars and battle damage.

I am particularly proud of the cockpit, which was a mix of Testors Sea Blue and Silver, and the stencils I handmade for the Jolly Rogers!

Paints were Testors Silver, Black, and Sea Blue; and Krylon Burgundy, Gloss Black, and Semi Gloss White.

She has not flown yet since rockets were getting more horizontal distance than vertical distance at the launch on Saturday.
Oh and the beautiful thing about being a space pirate is that technology is advanced enough that you never have to worry about running out of rum! :pirate: :beer:

DDportupper.JPG

View attachment DDPortJollyR.JPG

DDFwd.JPG

View attachment DDAftStar.JPG

Back