Flight Report: Misery and Woe

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thobin

Reaction score
I should have stayed in bed today all of my flights today ended in increasing catastrophe!

First the wind was not kind but still doable 10 to 13 with gusts to 18 mph, Only a few fliers were there at first so I had my pick of pads. First up was my Das Kommie Magg riding a Loki J-396, PUFF! The igniter burned, just not enough heat to light the J powerhouse. After a quick walk of shame and a much mo betta igniter from my new friend Mitch It was ready to go.

People jumped and babes cried as the Loki Spitfire thundered to life and reached 3124 feet.:headbang: I was to busy watching so I don't have any flight pics. But to make a long story short UP was perfect, the down part not so much. Both motor ejection and back up eject worked as planned but the cable cutter dual deploy did not. Now the rocket was separated and still came in pretty hard but amazingly enough it only suffered scratches and a small 1 inch crack on a fin joint, nothing loose smashed or broken. Whew!

Upon further inspection I am to blame for the cable cutter not working. The Duffas (me) forgot to add the BP charge to the cable cutter! :facepalm: Rocket survived so I can live with this one.

Next my new Estes upscale Patriot, it is built like an anti tank round 1/4' fins, glassed tube, slimline retainer, kevlar shock cord , the works. Once again the up part was great with a Loki G-80. I did need to drill out the delay a bit more but it was still with in reason and I had the backup eject at apogee so I was not worried.... WOOAA ya should have thought that through a bit more!

The problem was however, my kevlar shock cord some how tied its self in a knot on the way up because I sure the hell didn't put it in there that way. So it was a whole whopping 2 feet long. :facepalm:

For reasons unknown to me at this time the apogee eject did not fire!?!?! SO the rocket arced over at 718 feet and headed back to earth two seconds longer than it should have been, then the motor ejection fired and SNAP! The two foot shock cord is torn in half and the body plummeted to the ground. :mad:

It being built like an anti tank round it survived the fall quite well, and the only damage seems to be a attempted zipper damage that the kevlar shock cord tried to exact on my rocket. A second into the fall the cable cutter fired and returned the nose cone to earth a few hundred thousand feet to the east.

If it had been the 18 feet of shock cord that it was given instead of the two it might have survived the late deploy. Did it snap the cord form the ejection charge being to hot for two feet or the extra speed at deployment or both who knows? :confused2: All I know is that it sucked!

In all the rocket can be repaired with only a little bit of work, I can live through this.

Next is another scratch build five fins, four inch dia, three feet tall and 29mm. I load up an Aerotech H-128 every thing is in order. 3 2 1 launch, 100 feet then POP and sputter sputter, and flying crazy all of the sky.

It plummets back to earth and KER-SPLODS all over the west desert floor. AAAARRRGRGRG!!!!!:rant: As you can see from the picture there was a burn through just above the nozzle! Oh and it burst into flames. Not sure what to do about this one this or what happen the motor it was built right, all the parts were where they should be. :confused2:

This is the first CATO or what ever this is called that I have had. I have a 29mm hobby line case that is 17 years old and has tons of firings and this one has 3, and now its dead and so is the rocket! :cry: This one is a total loss.

Wind, Rain and Fire sums up this launch season. Id be pissed if I dint love this so much.

TA

2013-05-25 09.27.28.jpg

2013-05-25 11.59.20.jpg

2013-05-25 11.41.13.jpg

Ouch. I hate days that just keep getting worse. Always seems to start with a failed ignitor and snowball from there.

Good luck on the first two rebuilds...and I guess we now know what it takes to kill those estes retainers.

Sorry about your lousy luck. I'm planning on flying some small field stuff tomorrow, so hopefully I won't have a similar story to tell tomorrow night.

Hey, at least you got to GO to the launch. I havnt been to a good launch in forever and wont.until July!

Sorry to hear about the bad flights. I would have loved to see that skid!
Did you end up getting your L2?

Commiserations, at least your next launch can't get much worse so things are looking up!

Personally I think this sort of thing is something healthy to go through. I lost my beloved Heavy Duty Beauty on it's first flight without even getting to fly it as a cluster which was the whole reason I built it in the first place. After that crash and the weeks of tears I started looking at my rockets as they are, more or less expendable. That is to say I don't want to lose one, but if and when it happens now I will be able to let it go a little easier. For all this wonderful hobby gives me, sacrificing the occasional rocket or motor casing seems a far price to pay in return.

Hey, at least you got to GO to the launch. I havnt been to a good launch in forever and wont.until July!

Sorry to hear about the bad flights. I would have loved to see that skid!
Did you end up getting your L2?

Nope didn't have any more J motors. Oh well there is always June, if we don't get canceled due to fire restrictions. If not it will be at Hellfire in August.

TA

Geeze Louise Todd :y:

...mama said there`d be days like these !

Sorry to hear and see the troubles you had ,although good to see most of the carnage is repairable.

Not to worry my friend ,next time will be better :wink:

Take care

Paul t

As the saying goes, Some days the bear eat you,.....

We've all had days like those. The days when everything goes perfect make up for them.

Good luck.

Oh i've had a day very similar to this...scratch built and was supposed to be my first Mach rocket but that damn g80 didn't want to comply...it catoed and destroyed my rocket... (it was a single tube minimum diameter)...about a half hour later after i finished my analysis of what went wrong, I set up a rocket on the pad with a F50T and it ignited and just stayed on the pad...torched the blast deflector and the rocket...it was an old motor so I don't know what might have been wrong but i think it just never came up to pressure so it didn't produce enough thrust

Last edited:
Too bad about the last rocket. I always use the death of a rocket as an excuse to build a new, bigger one! I'm sure you can at least reuse the nose cone. It's soul will always fly!

The kommie-mag is awesome! My Dad did a similar thing with his, and he doesn't have a TRF account. I think the Minnie-mag just looks soviet, haha

Too bad about the last rocket. I always use the death of a rocket as an excuse to build a new, bigger one! I'm sure you can at least reuse the nose cone. It's soul will always fly!

The kommie-mag is awesome! My Dad did a similar thing with his, and he doesn't have a TRF account. I think the Minnie-mag just looks soviet, haha

I am almost done with the new rocket I just have to finish the AV bay and add the fillets. I made a few changes but the size is the same with the exception of the fins are a bit smaller and it's now 38mm and DD.

In all it was a pretty crappy day for our whole club 75% of the flights had some recovery failure. There were five cert flights and only two passed. My motor was the only cato so for an EX launch at least that part was good.

TA

The 25th was a bad day for my flying also.

Going for my L2 Cert
Attempt #1 : Charge ignited while arming electronics - No Flight
Attempt #2 : Chute tangled. Rocket came down faster than it should have. No damage, but one of the witnesses said it was not a safe recovery. I disagree but... I'm not the one signing the documentation.. so...
Attempt #3 : J400SS CATO on the pad. Not a pretty sight.

2013-05-26 11.54.57.jpg

--
NAR 94383
L1 - Estes Leviathan CTI H90

Last edited:
Back