Flight Commander Systems - New DVR camera and 808 Mount

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samtc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
FCS_with_text.jpg

As many of our projects are inching toward beta, we figured it was about time to start a Vendor Thread here on TRF. I think you guys are going to like what you see in the coming months. I am really excited about FC Deploy. This is a Completely Non-Pyro Deployment System. FC Deploy will work with any altimeter and deploys both the drogue and the main out the top. We use CO2 to blow the nose cone and a release mechanism to deploy the main chute. We have done a lot of testing with the unit and have decide to change the lance to ensure a more rapid release of CO2. We hope to be flying the beta unit in Orangeburg by July. I will post drawings and photos as soon as we finalize the design.

What's available Now:

FC-Cam 1 - Complete DVR, 8 Gig Card and Mount

FC_CAM_3W_Mounted_Painted_001.jpeg

We have put this little kit together to get you up and running the day it arrives. We even charge the battery for you! We currently offer mounts in 3", 4", 5" and 6". We should have 54mm Mounts available June 1. All of our test videos are available at: https://theflightcommander.com/fc-cam-1-flight-videos

You can pick these up at our website www.flightcommandersystems.com
or on the field with Performance Hobbies.

808 Keychain Camera Mount:

We have had several requests for a mount for the 808 Keychain Camera. We have designed this mount so the camera snaps in place and and is secured to the mount with a screw through the lanyard hole. We continue to tweak the design but, I think we are close. We will be offering mounts from 54mm, 3", 4" 5" and 6". If you do not see what you need, let us know. Any feedback on this design would be appreciated. Here are some screen shots of the CAD file.

FC-2_808_Mount_001.png FC-2_808_Mount_002.png FC-2_808_Mount_003.png

We should have these available by 5/31/13. Will post photos of the completed mounts in a few days.

Thanks for looking,

Sam & Malcolm

It would be awesome if you sell the mounts without the cameras.

+1 to sale by it self. would also like 2.56" tube mount. have you looked at the lens hole to make sure it is large enough to not be in frame. there are some camera models that have slight fish-eye lens that might need to be accounted for. will the mount have a place to screw the screw into through the lanyard hole or will user have to drill into rocket?

can these be "filled" with anything to make them smooth?

That is the plan. The U8 mount is printed in 3 pieces and requires some post printing labor. This unit is much smaller and can be done in one piece. We were thinking $20 plus shipping. (As light as it is, I'm thinking 1st Class postage)

+1 to sale by it self. would also like 2.56" tube mount. have you looked at the lens hole to make sure it is large enough to not be in frame. there are some camera models that have slight fish-eye lens that might need to be accounted for. will the mount have a place to screw the screw into through the lanyard hole or will user have to drill into rocket?

can these be "filled" with anything to make them smooth?

• We can do a 2.56"
• This mount works for the 808 we purchased. I have seen the fisheye with protruding lens; we would need to get one in hand to try. This is printed out of ABS, so you can always modify the opening with a small file.
• The screw goes into the mount itself
• I would recommend a little sanding.

I have asked Malcolm to create a version without the tabs, putting the mounting screws under the camera. I'll post something later today.

Sam

May have to pick one up in O'burg..You gonna be at the June launch?

I bought one of these units a couple of launches back.
Very well designed and a great add to any rocket.
Sam and Malcolm are good people, they have some really cool stuff coming out.
Y'all support them and watch what happens!!!

Last edited:
Eric1 i thought ALL Y'ALL was plural for everyone. But that's just from a Yankee.

Ok, guys.... Here's the official update on the 808.

We are running into some overheating when we get to the top of the unit. We print these standing up just as it would be mounted on the rocket. (Lens down) Malcolm is trying a few things to eliminate the overheating which results in a glob at the tip.

We have moved away from the mounting tabs in favor of flat mounting screws under the camera body. We would still fasten the camera in place with a small screw through the lanyard slot. If you want the tabs, they will be available.

Question: Do we leave an opening on the side for the USB slot ? (I'm leaning toward taking it out to protect the slot at landing)

Here are renderings on the current version.

808_NoTabs_002.jpg808_NoTabs_001.jpg

Appreciate any Feedback you might have !

Sam

I would be in favor of NOT having a slot on the side for the USB..Most will want to take the camera off the rocket to d/l the video to their computer..

+1 to no slot. if user wants it they could use a dremel and make one.
new design is very clean looking.

1.from drawing i can't tell if front edge has a cant to the back. is front edge straight up and down?
2. is the outer edge of the "frame" solid to the underside of the "floor" of the area where the camera goes. i am trying to say is the space below the mount to the outer edge of the mount hollow? if molded for a 3" airtube could i hone the bottom to contour to a 2.56" airframe?

Last edited:
+1 to no slot. if user wants it they could use a dremel and make one.
new design is very clean looking.

1.from drawing i can't tell if front edge has a cant to the back. is front edge straight up and down?
2. is the outer edge of the "frame" solid to the underside of the "floor" of the area where the camera goes. i am trying to say is the space below the mount to the outer edge of the mount hollow? if molded for a 3" airtube could i hone the bottom to contour to a 2.56" airframe?

1. See new render. Comments?

808_Side.png

2. Solid, I have given Malcolm a piece of 2.56 to model your mount. Essentially the camera mount is merged to the curvature file and then printed. We can match any diameter you need. I plan to fly on a 38mm next week.

Thanks, Sam

1. thanks for picture
2. sounds good

do you have dimensions for overall length and width?

Last edited:
Sounds like a great product. I am look forward to the whole line.

Progress report? I'm really wanting a 4" version.

Back