Flash Daddy A GARLO build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDramstad

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am a member of the Central Illinois Aerospace and every year we hold GARLO. Stands for Great American Rocket Launch. Every year we pick a topic to build around and since this was the thirtieth anniversary the theme was just "30". Now I started playing with black powder clusters awhile back and at first I thought No Way. Could I cluster 30 C6-5s in one airframe? Turns out you can in a 5.5 inch airframe. Started playing in Openrocket and this is what came out.

First thing I did was build the motor mount. Took 4 pieces of 1/4 inch plywood about 6" x 6" and glued the OR template on top.

IMG_0358.jpgIMG_0359.jpg

Then drilled out the holes with a 19mm forstner bit.

IMG_0360.jpgIMG_0361.jpgIMG_0365.jpg
Used 4 bolts to hold the 2 pieces in alignment and then glued in 30 18mm motor mounts with hooks and glued it all together. Used a saw to cut off the excess plywood and a belt sander to round it to size.
It turned out to be just a smidge too big to go into the tube so I glued it to the end of the airframe then used cardstock and 2 layers of carbon fiber around it. It has a slight bulge at the end but not enough to be a problem.

IMG_0369.jpg
Used Rocket Poxy to mount the 4 fins and then put fillets in place.
IMG_0371.jpg
I glued a bulkhead in about 12 inches above the motor mount. I dont want to use motor ejection because frankly, its a heavy beast and I dont know how many motors will light.

I have a 5.5 inch goblin that I took the altimeter sled from and put together a quick AV bay. I am using an Altus Metrum Easy Mini for the altimeter rigged to set the primary charge at apogee and the backup charge 2 seconds later.

IMG_0372.jpg
Thought I took more pictures of this but just imagine 2 charge wells holding 2.5 and 3 gram charges.

IMG_0373.jpg
Now you may wonder what happens when 30 ejection charges all go off at once? I drilled 3 holes on 2 sides of the airframe to vent those charges.

IMG_0374.jpg
Couple coats of black paint and some clear coat. You can see the holes on this side. Still looked a little plain so I contacted Mark at Stickershock23 and had a set of modified Big Daddy stickers made up.

IMG_0377.jpg

Couple coats of black paint and some clear coat. You can see the holes on this side. Still looked a little plain so I contacted Mark at Stickershock23 and had a set of modified Big Daddy stickers made up.

Now, how do you light 30 black powder motors all at once???? If you look in the lower right corner of the last picture you can see my flash pan. I basically made 2 more centering rings and drilled them out for 3/8 inch tubes. I wanted brass but no one around here had enough so I used aluminum instead. Mounted that assembly in a spare piece of 5.5 inch airframe with a bulkhead in the bottom. Stuck an igniter in the bottom with 5 grams of pyrodex. Place the flash pan so the tubes match up to the motor nozzles and push the button......

Flew it last Saturday and should have flight pictures available soon. 30 C6-5s work out to about 240 newton-seconds so about a 50% H.

That is freaking awesome.

I hope to be able to visit your HPR site later this year with my own rockets. WashU's SLI team had a good flight earlier this year (much thanks to CIA for allowing!), and I was impressed with the field.

I will have to reach out to your BOD to see what the limitations are for your field, motor/altitude wise are.

Through the summer we fly in a park in town. Waiver is 3200 ish and up through H motors but its grown up so much around us we discourage anything much above 2K. Fall and winter we are in a farm field with a 10K ASL (9200)
Check our website for the schedules

I saw the picture before the description and it made me giggle. Love projects like this.

Too bad you cant use a flash pan on Q-Jet motors. Although I did successfully launch a seven motor cluster with 6 C6-5s and a Q-Jet in the middle. Used the Q-Jet to light the flash pan

Yeah, thought of that after I posted that. I suppose one could rig up a multiple relay trigger that does 6-8 groups of motors. 🤪

Latest posts

Back