Fitting GPS/RDF antenna in rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkovac

Reaction score
I'm about to start building a 2.6" fiberglass Madcow Tomach and it will be my first rocket with electronics. In addition to dual deploy, I want to include some type of tracking. The altimeter bay in this rocket is 6" long, and all commercially available GPS and RDF devices I've looked at appear to have antennas that are longer than 6". I maybe have a bit more room than that in the nosecone, length-wise, but it is metal-tipped.

I haven't taken the Technician exam yet, but plan to before purchasing anything. I can't use anything that is cell-phone based because I'll be flying at places with no cell service. The Altus Metrum seems like it would be a good all-in-one choice for the features I want, but it states in their instructions that the minimum length of tubing needed for it is 10", due to the antenna.

Any thoughts on device choice, and/or how to incorporate an antenna with the above in mind would be greatly appreciated.

The metal tipped NC is not a problem. Carbon fiber and metallic paints are a problem with Rf trackers. The degree of attenuation depends upon power output and the frequency of the tracker. The best bet is "Ask the man/woman who owns one" and perhaps one will pipe up with tracking solutions for the 2.6" Tomach . Off hand it looks like the nosecone would comfortably hold an Altus Metrum TeleGPS but it's $200.00 and you'll need the Tech license and an APRS receiver or spend the $155.00 for the TeleBT. which BTW would be cheaper than a full bore Ham APRS receiver. That is if you already had an Android device to run the AltusDroid app. Pair it with the TeleBT and you're good to go with downloadable, portable maps. (You can use a laptop but dang, they're hard to carry around with you, but the newer tablets are a possibility if you have enough storage room for maps.)

If you get a Ham APRS receiver, the TeleGPS can also send APRS position packets at the same time. I intend to track with a TeleBT bonded to a Nexus 7 2013 and can also use a Kenwood D72 wired to a Garmin mapping GPS, a 60CsX, for backup.

I've had a wire antenna from a Beeline GPS tracker project into the main chute bay of a Wildman JR through a small bulkhead hole. I use the cardboard tube that the wired Aerotech igniters come in wrapped with duct tape to stent the wire so the chute doesn't smush the antenna. The Beeline GPS rides forward and the Raven III rides aft in the ebay.

Now if you want to do a Ham RDF thing, you could get a Beeline RDF tracker with SMA: https://www.bigredbee.com/zc139/ind...ducts_id=180&zenid=tbla9sfdqiasnvj1nijsam1jb4
Mount it inside of a robust box with the SMA connector exposed so you could attach any 70cm antenna you want to it. Use an Arrow Yagi antenna with a Marvin West Offset attenuator: https://www.west.net/~marvin/k0ov.htm and you'd be good to
go with any Ham radio H/T. One caution about the cheap radios out there. Most of them the signal strength meter is either "all on" if there is a signal or "all off" if there isn't one. If you want a true strength meter, you'll have to go with a pricier rig. Some tell me they track by ear or earphones with the attenuator. Me, I'm lazy a--ed and use GPS but I understand room constraints and portability requirements may make RDF necessary. Easier to take an RDF tracker off the harness of one rocket and add it to another.

RDF is an art that folks have been using for effectively tracking rockets for years. GPS has a greater potential in shortening the recovery time as the last received position packet is usually close to the position where the downed rocket lays. Unless it's gone "stupid far" away from you, you get to the last known position and if not seeing the rocket, you're close enough to pick up a new position packet of the final resting place.

EggFinder GPS is a newer entry where the receiver can bond via B/T to an Android device or tablet. I've had help with the Ham Radio app: APRSISCE/32, https://aprsisce.wikidot.com/, so I can get two instances running so I can monitor the NMEA packets from the rocket and the local position all on a mapquest photomap that is downloadable and storable on one's Windows tablet. Now that's kinda neat. Haven't flown it yet but have down quite a bit of ground testing. Click for enlargements.

Screenshot (4).jpgScreenshot (11).jpgScreenshot (13).jpg

Even though I am using my Ham callsign, I am not connected to anything other than an EggFinder LCD receiver and none of this is going out over the internet. The old mapquest photomap is downloadable with APRSIS32 for portable storage and no internet required.
The red track is the EggFinder GPS tracker or a TRS. The TRS works too. The numbers next to the dots are the GPS altitude. They can be had at selectable intervals. The track colors can be changed (on-the-fly if desired). I have the base station with a black line.

So, if anyone wants to know, it is possible to have a graphical presentation with the EggFinders. I believe one wouldn't have to be a Ham to use the program for that purpose. The program can be used in a standard fashion for APRS tracking for standard APRS tracking.
In fact, the setup is easier for that as that's what it was designed for in the first place. In a nutshell, one uses the NMEA port on two instances of APRSIS32. The NMEA port is to process the position of one's base station so it puts the monitoring station on the map in real time. Since the EggFinder is sending simple NMEA sentences like an "attached" GPS, one has one instance monitoring the ROCKET in real time at once per second. That has the Rocket taken care of. A second instance of APRSIS32 is monitoring the local position through its NMEA GPS port and "Beacons" its position as a local IS server to the 1st instance that is monitoring the ROCKET position. This second instance is open and can run minimized. That's how both positions are monitored on one screen at 1/sec as long as packets are received.
I need to do an article on this but someone else is welcome to beat me to it. Oh, if one's device has limited storage, simplier maps are available. Um, I forgot to mention, the software to do all this stuff is free to boot. Kurt

Last edited:
It just takes some thinking ahead of time to figure out how to lay everything out. Like Kurt said the antennas can pass through into other compartments.
These are in a 3" rocket
eb2.jpg
eb3.jpg

And this one is being set up for a 38mm rocket. There is a Beeline Tx on the backside.
eb8.jpg

Tony

Nice setups Tony. Oh, another thing, try not to have the antenna running parallel to metal all-thread or have your batteries on the other side of the sled just opposite to your antenna. That can attenuate the signal. As long as the metal doesn't
parallel the antenna, one is fine.

I admit my antenna passes opposite the eyebolt in my WMJr but I haven't had any range issues in 7 flights. I have three small 2-56 threaded screws holding the nosecone on another 38mm MD rocket where I run the EggFinder TRS antenna
up into the nose cone. The screws are just 1cm up past the antenna connector. The TRS rides in this extended payload bay and an Archtype cutter releases the main chute. Two aft mounted terminals on the bulkhead to carry the power to the ematches. The static pressure port serves as an access for a nut driver so I can arm the pyro circuit. Had one flight that was picture perfect except I didn't see a darned thing of the flight. Flew high and fast with NMEA positions coming in with the last packet from 100' up, 1.66 miles away. Took a Yagi along for the walk and by golly it did pick up the downed rocket from farther out than I could see. Put the duck antenna on and the signal disappeared. Put the Yagi on and the signal returned. Walked up to the rocket and it was obvious it was a nominal flight with the open main chute lying on the ground.
Oh, don't use a Yagi for the 900Mhz trackers in flight. I'm told the beam is pretty narrow on the 900Mhz frequency band and it will be hard to keep the rocket "in radio sight". On the ground though, the rocket is generally stationary and easier to aim the Yagi. If one wants more receive gain on 900Mhz for flight tracking, use a patch antenna: https://www.cbtcompany.com/itemdetail/A912NJ-DP PRS
That link is an example. The prices have gone up. I picked one up for something like $18.00 a couple of years ago. Most folks track some very high flying EggFinder flights without any trouble with simple antennas.
Kurt

Thank you all for the detailed replies and great info. Drilling a hole and letting the antenna go thru the bulkhead simply hadn't occurred to me. I'd be curious as to what materials (other than the cardboard igniter tube mentioned) people have used to sheath/protect the antenna when it's poking into another compartment.

Thank you all for the detailed replies and great info. Drilling a hole and letting the antenna go thru the bulkhead simply hadn't occurred to me. I'd be curious as to what materials (other than the cardboard igniter tube mentioned) people have used to sheath/protect the antenna when it's poking into another compartment.

A stiff plastic tube can be used with clay or putty holding it to the bulkhead. The duct tape protects the cardboard from the powder flash. Cripes, I'm still using my first stent after 4 flights. Hasn't gone out the tube yet! Don't let the antenna
get squished down as the range will be severely atenuated. It can get tilted sideways in the tube but it's o.k. as long as it is at its full length. Don't use metallic paint on the upper bay tube then. Kurt

Thanks again all for the additional info. Greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back