first scratch build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banjo

Reaction score
actually, it's my first rocket. I got interested in rocketry about 2 weeks ago, when I picked up the "Handbook of Model Rocketry" from 1976. i guess something clicked because for the following week, all i did was work on my rocket. it doesn't look that good (I ran out of spraypaint on my body tube (the center of a wrapping paper roll).

the nose is a ping pong ball glued to a film canister (i used gobs of jb weld on the rocket). i tried to streamline the fins using a dremel (never do that again- too touchy). the motor mount was a real problem, because i had no idea of how to configure one and the local hobby shop doesn't carry them.

so my dad came up with the idea of using paperclips as the retaining functions and a duct tape for the centering rings. i flew it on an A8-3 and it went... 30 feet. all the duct tape made the cg fall behind the cp so i added weight to the nose and, apparently, this was too too heavy for the motor. so i redesigned the motor mount with balsa rings around a cardstock tube. worked like a charm so now im building another rocket.

well just wanted to share, sorry for ramblin'.
by the way, its called "THRUST ENFORCER"

The first rule of posting about your rockets is...

You must show us pics!

I think you have to have the pics posted on the web somewhere.

In the vB code section above Your Reply, there is an "IMG" button.
Click on the IMG button and then insert the link of the pic.

There is "Attach File" below the Your Reply section.
I am not sure how that one works.

Oh Lordy, that thing is beautiful!

If that is your first scratch built *AND* your very first rocket, well son YOU are hooked and well on your way :)

Great pix and an incredible first go at rocketry, that's for sure!

jim

Originally posted by banjo
the motor mount was a real problem, because i had no idea of how to configure one and the local hobby shop doesn't carry them.
You can get "official" body tubes from on-line vendors. Of particular interest are BT-5, BT-20 and BT-50, which are the correct sizes to fit 13mm, 18mm and 24mm motors respectively. Apart from that, you'll find that the "official" body tubes are lighter than most tubes you'll find from other sources. Having said that, it's definitely satisfying to build a rocket from whatever you can find rather than buying the parts, as you've just found out. :)

I often compromise - genuine BT-5, BT-20 or BT-50 for the motor mounts, whatever I can find for the main body. The dedicated rocketeer goes into a shop and buys something packaged in a tube, regarding the tube as the main purchase for use as a rocket and whatever is in the tube as a freebie. :D

Thrust Enforcer looks good, especially since it's your first. I look forward to seeing your next rocket!
Originally posted by mwiggins367
There is "Attach File" below the Your Reply section.
I am not sure how that one works.
This allows you to upload a picture from your own PC to the TRF server. But it must not be too big. The maximum file size is 102400 bytes, i.e. about 100K. What that means is that you need to scale down the picture and save it as a JPG. A photo size of 480x640 saved at moderate compression usually works for me; if not, I change the compression factor to get a slightly poorer but smaller file until the result is within the 100K limit.

thanks all

im gluing fins on my 2nd rocket as i type.
for this project i used mostly store-bought parts- tube, nose and motor mount. I went to a hobby store across town that had everything. ill post pics later.

i am hooked, but unfortunately school started this week and i have a lot less time to build.

question: what ways can i expand my rockets beyond the conventional, single motor etc. config. that ive been using so far? thanks again

:kill:

you gotta love that smiley

question: what ways can i expand my rockets beyond the conventional, single motor etc. config. that ive been using so far? thanks again
Gliders, staging, cluster, payloads, helicopter recovery, moving up the power scale (slowly), complex builds such as sci-fi models. Lots of ways to go (or get sucked into) in this hobby!

:kill:

you gotta love that smiley

Come visit us at FlisKits. I think you will like what you see. And if none of the kits strike your fancy, we have a full and growing line of parts to choose from too :)

Most important, have fun!
jim

Banjo,

Keep up the great work. Once you are bit by the bug - it's hard to stop.

Keep the pics coming - especially your latest project.

Back