First scratch build (18mm BT50 Payload)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRE

Reaction score
Finally got around to building something I have been playing with on OR and got the modelling kit out.

View attachment 18mm BT50 Payloader.ork

A lot of first time stuff going on here for me; first own design to get built; first time I have papered fins (and they came out flat, bubble free and light); first model with a payload bay (even if it is a little one) :)

JRE-18mm-BT50-Payloader (1).jpg JRE-18mm-BT50-Payloader (3).jpg JRE-18mm-BT50-Payloader (4).jpg

Just need to get it finished and see if it will actually fly :)

Babar, payload is a Jolly Logic 2, thought it would be nice to get some solid data back. Benefit of a home design is will allow me direct comparison with predictions against live results. Oh, and it will be fun ;)

SD, no paint yet. Will probably see if it flies first and then treat it to a simple white with black roll markings paint job using rattle can acrylics.

couple of reminders for you, launch lugs go on before paint, and don't forget the vent holes (for the altimeter) in the payload section :). looks nice.
Rex

Thanks for the kind words to date folks.

We have had no decent weather for flying so I went ahead and treated the ship to some paint. A few defects but for a first attempt I am really pleased :)

JRE-18mm-BT50-Payloader (6).jpg JRE-18mm-BT50-Payloader (7).jpg

I even remembered to get the guide tubes on before paint ;) But did forget to drill breathers for the JollyL, hey ho, can't win them all ;)

I agree with Cookie's Owner, elegant. And you really can't beat a classic black and white scheme.

Woo Hoo, it flies :) :)

Slightly shorter in the legs than OR predicted but that was the idea behind the Jolly Logic. 34mtrs on an A8-3 and 103mtrs on a B6-4. Maybe my rather course surface finish, but none the less I am very chuffed. Flew straight and true. Now for some video if I can get SWMBO onboard, a bigger flying field and some Estes 'C' or even better Klima 'D' ;) (even remembered the pressure holes in the payload bay)

JRE-18mm-BT50-Payloader(14).jpg JRE-18mm-BT50-Payloader(10).jpg

Back