First cluster and first separatable boosters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AstroNom

Reaction score
Hi,

Always liked rockets with separatable boosters. But before building something of significance (scale one), decided to build a test vehicle to test different ideas. It is equipped with the camera that should give me some idea on how the design works. The core - E9-5 and boosters D12-5. Just finished building it. Still need to balance. For now the idea is to test the separation and security.
The rocket:
IMG_7413 (533x800).jpg
Business end:
IMG_7416 (533x800).jpg
Bracket -I took the old idea of having the core hanging from the boosters which have a bigger thrust but burn out quicker then the core.
IMG_7421 (533x800).jpg
My idea was to add a security to the package that if one of the boosters take longer to ignite it will still be attached to the core. Also the boosters do not fall off during rocket set up. This is achieved by a loop of thread that goes right under the nozzle and the booster hangs on it. After ignition the thread is burned and the booster is free to fall after the burn out:
IMG_7424 (533x800).jpg
If this is successful next step would be to make the boosters fly away as well - not just down.

Sounds cool. You are not using a zero delay on the boosters. So they will hang on for about 5 seconds after their propellant burns out while the delay burns. Is this intentional?

The boosters are actually held to the core only because their thrust is bigger then the core itself. I saw someone build Delta IV on the same principal. The picture is not too clear but the boosters just slide down after the motors burn out, fall for 5 seconds and then deploy parachutes. The only thing that hold them before ignition is the thread. I think this setup is more "realistic" then the one where boosters separate during parachute deployment.
IMG_7429 (800x533).jpg

I like the idea. Is the thrust duration of the e motor significantly longer than the boosters? Please post a flight report

I like the idea. Is the thrust duration of the e motor significantly longer than the boosters? Please post a flight report
Yes it's 2.8 for E vs 1.6 for D seconds. And max thrust is 5.6 for E vs 7.4 newtons for D.
As for report, I haven't flown it yet, the weather and lack of a good field, as I'm afraid this thing can go high...
But I will post for sure.

Back