Finny fin fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astroimgur

Reaction score
Anyone have any techniques they would like to share when it comes to painting fins a different color than the BT? I have a hard time trying to get those distinct, nice even lines at the base of the fins near the filets.

The bigger your fillets are, the harder it seems to be to get a nice crisp line in the proper location. If I have big fillets, I would consider painting the fin at the point where the fillet comes flat with the side of the fin and make sure they are even all around.
Get yourself some good quality masking tape. There have been several discussions on which tape is better but as long as it is high quality tape for painting, you should be OK.
-Ken

Among the many painting tips already posted here on TRF, the approach that stands out to me is:

1-- Use appropriate masking tape (regular tan "masking" tape may not be the best, should try blue "painter's" tape or even artist's trimmable gasket/masking material)

2-- First spray should be a light coat of CLEAR paint on the edge of the masking to help seal any gaps

3-- Follow-on color coats should each be light (attempting to get all the color onto the rocket in one heavy, drippy coat usually doesn't work out well)

4-- Between each coat (either clear or color) wait either an hour or so (for the paint to set but still be ready for another coat) or wait a couple days (for the paint to reach "bone dry" condition)

5-- Use paints that are compatible with each other (same brand, style, etc) for primers, clear base coats, and color coats; test your paints on some scrap if you have any doubts

6-- Don't get in a hurry, if you are working for a "nice" finish; slow is fast

Sorry powderburner I didnt mean to sound like I was asking for actual painting tips :) I know how everyone hates that with the plethora of painting topics. I was looking for tips on getting the masking location right on the fins. I have a hard time finding the proper lines when I try to mask. I either end up with crooked lines or I mask too high on the fins and they look funky. I guess I was just trying to see if anyone did anything like tracing the edges of the filets after sanding them down or if they use any kind of tool to get the masking lines at the same location for each fin.

Last edited:
Laser level. Project the line onto the rocket and tape onto that.

Later!

--Coop

Back