Finally used my sanding drum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketeer Gator

Reaction score
Why I waited so long to use this after it has been in my drawer of sand paper almost a year is beyond me.My brother bought it,used it once and gave it to me because it couldn't reach what he was trying to sand.

6096.jpg

Well this morning I decided to give it a try on my 6" FWFG NC to rough up the inside to epoxy in the coupler.It worked like a charm!What normally took 10-15 minutes with with 80 grit now was reduced to maybe a minute if that with a 50 grit drum.This drum kit comes with 2 each 50,100,and 120 grit sanding drums.
8455536815_4464fa94ae.jpg

I also found on the Gator Finishing site they also have a 3/4" version but I'm not sure Lowe's,where my 1.5" was originally purchased,carries it.

P.S. I used the drum on a 18v cordless drill at low speeds and the fact the product is named gator is purely a coincidence.

Every time i try one of those the tubes slide off. How do you keep that from happening?

Most rubber tube style drums have a screw at the end. Tighten the screw, drum bulges a bit and holds the sanding sleeve tightly.

I just got a set of these kinds of things for my drill press and am looking forward to using them!

Yes like Mark said there is a left handed nut at the base on the one I have.I put mine into the drill chuck and tighten the nut with a wrench.

8456787754_2176e1f564_n.jpg

I just got a set of these kinds of things for my drill press and am looking forward to using them!

This one I'm posting about isn't recommended for a drill press.Max rpm is 10k but no where near that is needed for this use.I'm sure you have the type designed for a press.I myself wouldn't use this one in a drill press.

I have one with an extension about 12" long :) Use it to hone out motor tubes, etc.

:tongue: @ Kit....I'll have to check into the 3M stuff.Do you buy it online?and where? I'm going threw a buttload of sheets on my current projects and looking to buy bulk for wet sanding 100-400 grit.

Home Depot carries it out on the West Coast.

You might be able to find it on Amazon but I haven't looked.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Rocketeer Gator --- You must not own a dremel tool otherwise you would have been using a sanding drum a long time ago. For me a dremel tool with a flex shaft attachment is a must for hobby building (and small, general, projects around the house.) The flex shaft would have probably reached where ever your brother needed to sand.

This one I'm posting about isn't recommended for a drill press.Max rpm is 10k but no where near that is needed for this use.I'm sure you have the type designed for a press.I myself wouldn't use this one in a drill press.

I have one very similar to that. I usually use it in a drill press. I build a vacuum box to clamp to the table of the drill press. It's two layers of ply spaced enough apart that I can put a vacuum attachment into the side. The top part has a hole just big enough to allow the drum to fit in it. The vacuum draws the dust off the drum and down into the box. Works great and really cuts down on the amount of dust.

Drill press sander w vac 002.jpg

The black plastic tube on the right is the vacuum hose.

Back