Finally Joining the Microcontroller Cult After Decades of Resisting (no pun intended)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 uno’s, I’m horrible at electronics so I never use them, some day I’ll sit down and figure out how electrons work…
I highly recommend the Forrest Mims books for a great introduction to electronics that eases the learning curve for a beginner. His “Getting Started in Electronics” is a classic that used to be sold at Radio Shack back in the day. Now on Amazon.

Getting Started in Electronics https://a.co/d/gnG0doU

If you are no longer a Forest Mims kind of guy, graph paper makers will go hungry.
Love me some Forrest Mims. I will never desert my childhood electronics icon. But I also want to make it easier to create complicated circuits. Trying to make a complicated circuit with analog components and discrete logic chips, a la 1977, is hard. I lose track of where the signal is going and how it is being manipulated. I am hoping that the Arduino will let me just arbitrarily program exactly what I want the circuit to do into one, universal device. We shall see.

Love me some Forrest Mims. I will never desert my childhood electronics icon. But I also want to make it easier to create complicated circuits. Trying to make a complicated circuit with analog components and discrete logic chips, a la 1977, is hard. I lose track of where the signal is going and how it is being manipulated. I am hoping that the Arduino will let me just arbitrarily program exactly what I want the circuit to do into one, universal device. We shall see.
With the UNO, or any other controller board, although most pins can be used as inputs/ outputs, some pins are specific. So if you need analog to digital conversion for say a potentiometer knob or to read a temperature from a thermistor, don't previously commit all the A-D inputs as digital input/outputs just because it seemed easier to run the wires to that side of the board.
Not that anyone would do that just because the numerical order of the connections is in the designated order of the input numbering.....

I have been a die-hard analog electronics hobbyist my whole life. Old-school, draw the op-amps and discrete logic chips on a piece of graph paper, Forrest Mims kind of guy. But I have finally given in and joined the microcontroller cult. I have been absorbed. Wish me luck!

View attachment 635621
This could be a very slippery slope! Arduinos can be very addictive.
There are some very good Arduino reference texts and web resources with lots of interesting circuit and coding examples. Good luck and have fun.

I highly recommend the Forrest Mims books for a great introduction to electronics that eases the learning curve for a beginner. His “Getting Started in Electronics” is a classic that used to be sold at Radio Shack back in the day. Now on Amazon.

Getting Started in Electronics https://a.co/d/gnG0doU
I have plenty (I mean plenty) of books on it, what happens usually is I start trying to figure out how to do what I want (eg get a battery that works with my Eggtimer) then get confused and dive into a rabbit hole (eg how do I charge this thing) and it takes me twice the amount of time as I should (eg 3 weeks). Also I really don’t understand data connections and stay 6 feet away from them at all times.

I start trying to figure out how to do what I want (eg get a battery that works with my Eggtimer) then get confused
Me too! All the beginner info I can find tells how components work, what they do, what effect they have on voltage/current, maybe how to test them and some simple circuit that uses them.

I already know what the components do. What I need (and I welcome recommendations) is why. I want problem solving guidance and examples. "Let's design a circuit to do X. The main component we need is Y. If we just hook that up to a voltage source, Z happens — so we need to include..."

Me too! All the beginner info I can find tells how components work, what they do, what effect they have on voltage/current, maybe how to test them and some simple circuit that uses them.

I already know what the components do. What I need (and I welcome recommendations) is why. I want problem solving guidance and examples. "Let's design a circuit to do X. The main component we need is Y. If we just hook that up to a voltage source, Z happens — so we need to include..."
Try
Electronics. a system approach.
It deals with components, creates simple building blocks and then links them together to do more complex things.
Also covers things like making sure your FET input gate is always pulled down to ground with a resistor etc...

Forrest Mims was kick-a**!!! One of the best explainers ever. He started me on basic electronics in high school : )

I have some of his books along with ALL of his radio shack guidebooks. Those are still good for basic analog learning.

"The Art of Electronics" is top on my list. Expensive but it teaches you to estimate and engineer and not worry about components to the last ohm/microfarad/henry.

Cheers / Robert

Forrest Mims was kick-a**!!! One of the best explainers ever. He started me on basic electronics in high school : )

I have some of his books along with ALL of his radio shack guidebooks. Those are still good for basic analog learning.

"The Art of Electronics" is top on my list. Expensive but it teaches you to estimate and engineer and not worry about components to the last ohm/microfarad/henry.

Cheers / Robert
Forrest is still kicking at a ripe old age! Www.forrestmims.org

Mr. Mims also likes model rocketry.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Forrest_Mims_Rocket_Vietnam_1967.jpg

Last edited:
This is a full set of Arduino tutorials aimed at absolute beginners. Total of 68 videos but you don't have to watch them all :)

Forrest Mims and Don Lancaster were my heroes back in the day. They did some awesome projects... the original TV Typewriter was one of the coolest projects ever devised. No microcontrollers back in that day... all logic gates, shift registers, and serious creativity.

Forrest Mims and Don Lancaster were my heroes back in the day. They did some awesome projects... the original TV Typewriter was one of the coolest projects ever devised. No microcontrollers back in that day... all logic gates, shift registers, and serious creativity.
I need to find out what a TV typewriter is!

Although the software makes things easier in a way, it also has it's little bumps:
  • (-) You have to learn software
  • (?) People like my brother, who's computer science, are deciding how things "should" work o_O o_O o_O haha
  • (+) You mostly don't have to bother much with electronics.
    • The processor is essentially a wide range PLC so you just hook up based on the input or output specs.
    • Lots of plant techs do this: "oh, it requires a 24VDC input from the sensor - program High and Low Value state(-)
  • (-) Sometimes the software can make a hardware fault obscure and result in replacing more and larger assemblies.
  • (+/-) You can often program around a fault - depends.
The last doesn't cover hobbying of course - it's for commercial deployment.

In the end I would think that having the solid Analog knowledge + the processor will equal good, well written programs since you'll know the peripherals, servos, and the processor.

Cheers / Robert

I enjoyed Don Lancaster’s articles in Nuts and Volts magazine. RIP Mr. Lancaster.

Although the software makes things easier in a way, it also has it's little bumps:
  • (-) You have to learn software
  • (?) People like my brother, who's computer science, are deciding how things "should" work o_O o_O o_O haha
  • (+) You mostly don't have to bother much with electronics.
    • The processor is essentially a wide range PLC so you just hook up based on the input or output specs.
    • Lots of plant techs do this: "oh, it requires a 24VDC input from the sensor - program High and Low Value state(-)
  • (-) Sometimes the software can make a hardware fault obscure and result in replacing more and larger assemblies.
  • (+/-) You can often program around a fault - depends.
The last doesn't cover hobbying of course - it's for commercial deployment.

In the end I would think that having the solid Analog knowledge + the processor will equal good, well written programs since you'll know the peripherals, servos, and the processor.

Cheers / Robert
I know most of the analog electronics I need for my humble projects. The “open collector” output of the LM311 comparator stymied me for awhile. My brain said, “output pin, so it must be sourcing current”. Nope, the pin is “sinking” current through a transistor built right into the chip. And the output pin needs a “pull up” resistor to the power rail. So, even if I learn the Arduino, I still need to understand how the analog critters the Arduino is connected to work.

I built my first computer back in '78. Another Radio Electronics project:
https://archive.org/details/radioelectronics48unse_2
2k of RAM, 1k of ROM, video monitor, cassette interface for storage.

Ended up adding S100 expansion, floppy disk drive and 5MB HDD, speech synthesis, EPROM programming, and instant access to both the Editor/Assembler and BASIC.

So, even if I learn the Arduino, I still need to understand how the analog critters the Arduino is connected to work.
Arduino output pins are configurable! Can source or sink, pull ups and pull downs internally.

Look up "Charlieplexing LEDs" and think about it... So cool!

This could be a very slippery slope! Arduinos can be very addictive.
There are some very good Arduino reference texts and web resources with lots of interesting circuit and coding examples. Good luck and have fun.
It blinks! The "L" LED built into the Uno R3 blinks! And I made it blink faster! It was blinking at .5 hertz. Now it is blinking at 1 hertz!

IMG_0549.jpeg

IMG_0553.jpeg

2k of RAM, 1k of ROM, video monitor, cassette interface for storage.

Ended up adding S100 expansion, floppy disk drive and 5MB HDD, speech synthesis, EPROM programming, and instant access to both the Editor/Assembler and BASIC.
The Tandy Color Computer had a tape drive if I remember correctly. I forget how much RAM it had. My buddy got one for Christmas and programmed it draw a circle on his color TV. It was so awesome!

2k of RAM, 1k of ROM, video monitor, cassette interface for storage
2650 was a copy of IBM 1130 architecture. Weird!

By then I was preoccupied with my Z80B, and 1802 ELF.

Also on the cover of that issue, SAD1024 BBD chip. I built the Craig Anderton circuit for guitar foot pedal. Noisy but better than an old echoplex in some ways.

... And the Exar 2206 function generator! I still have several of those chips, and a couple kits. Someday ...

Memories... thanks!

Back