Fin adhesive

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in the process of building a Wildman Vindicator FG and wondering if tacking the fins with either CA or more probably 5 min epoxy is acceptable before of course filleting with slow cure epoxy inside and out. Thanks in advance for any advice. This forum has been a wealth of knowledge for me!
Bob

Totally fine. I tack all my fins with CA so if my eyes can't see straight, I can always break the fin free, sand it back down and redo my fins. CA is only there to tack the fin in place. All of the structural load will be on your filets inside and out, having CA on the root edge won't matter.

Totally fine. I tack all my fins with CA so if my eyes can't see straight, I can always break the fin free, sand it back down and redo my fins. CA is only there to tack the fin in place. All of the structural load will be on your filets inside and out, having CA on the root edge won't matter.
+1

I was planning on using Bob Smith 5 min epoxy. I have had pretty good luck with their products. Ut Oh. Don't want to start another glue thread.
Don't look now, but I think you just did...lol

IME, epoxy doesn't stick to cured CA worth a darn if the CA isn't sanded first. When I tried CA to hold the fins with epoxy fillets, then stressed the joint to destruction, the epoxy fillet material just popped right off the surface of the CA.
Epoxy will hardly stick to any non sanded surface. Anything you plan to bond should be prepped ahead of time. If you're using CA to tack fins in place, there shouldn't be enough squeezing out to have to sand.

Yeah, note the word "tack": just 2 or 3 drops to hold it in place. This works nicely with CRs too (really any assembly that isn't such a tight fit that you have to force the pieces together).

Back