Fill 'n Finish Gone Bad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is so weird Bob...I recently opened a tub of spackling a few days ago myself to do some work and everything was fine with it..I have had this tub(super size 5 gallon bucket) for going on 3 years now and most of that time(90%) in a non-climate controlled shed in the backyard. And summers in Georgia get hot and humid..Weird that you are getting these mold growths..It would prompt ME to have the house checked for mold, it can do nasty stuff..Especially if it is 'black' mold...

Today I was re-painting one of the walls in my secret underground laboratory and needed to spackle some nail holes. Guess what I found when I opened my jar of spackle? Another science experiment. I never added any water to this spackle so these fuzzies are naturally ocurring.

Geez, Bob, if you'd rather I grab a hotel than stay at your place for NARCON, just say so. No need to get all chem-warfare on me!:afraid:

I've been using a tub of Elmer's wood filler (not FnF) for about 5 years, had to retire it when it got too dried out for use. Never mixed in the tub, always scooped out a bit into an empty film canister for mixing. Upgraded to actual FnF about 6 months ago, and have not seen any mold issues. Then again, we dropped about $10k into a serious household moisture "system" (trenching, french drain, dehumidifier, etc.) so I am not nearly as cultured as you.

--Chan Stevens

I have not tried this myself yet, but I bet you could thin Fill 'n Finish with rubbing alcohol instead of water. That would inhibit the growth of the nasties...

I have not tried this myself yet, but I bet you could thin Fill 'n Finish with rubbing alcohol instead of water. That would inhibit the growth of the nasties...

I have tried rubbing alcohol (infact, the my tub was filled with about .75" of it) and it seems to have helped. The rubbing alcohol seperates from the FnF, unlike water, but I think that resists some mold. When I found mold in mine, I found that it was on the rim of the tub and didn't advance any farther than about 1.5" from the alcohol.

Latest posts

Back