3D Printing Filament recommendations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been having good luck with 3DSolutech PETG.

IMG_20200315_105945.jpg

As far as what to review, anything that is currently available.

For PETG Really like ZYLtech in 5kg spools. Very consistent, very dry, and cheap. Will take you 30 seconds to find a 15% off coupon which puts it at around $70 shipped.

Like esun PLA+. Very forgiving, and can handle an annealing cycle without warping.

Mika3d has some silk metallic PLA’s which look absolutely beautiful

12ABC104-7BF9-40CB-918C-ED98074727E7.jpeg

From a review perspective, I would be very interested to see if overture is indeed identical to Amazon basics and Duramic.

Last edited:
For PETG Really like ZYLtech in 5kg spools. Very consistent, very dry, and cheap. Will take you 30 seconds to find a 15% off coupon which puts it at around $70 shipped.

Like esun PLA+. Very forgiving, and can handle an annealing cycle without warping.

Mika3d has some silk metallic PLA’s which look absolutely beautiful

View attachment 414138

From a review perspective, I would be very interested to see if overture is indeed identical to Amazon basics and Duramic.

You may like: SUNLU PLA Silk BlackGrey Filament

This turned out to be one of the things that's hard to get right now. I bought the only thing I could find in stock.
Chroma Strand translucent pink PETG. Seems pretty good so far. I've only been through one other roll of PETG, so don't know how to compare it.

IMG_0026.jpg

This turned out to be one of the things that's hard to get right now. I bought the only thing I could find in stock.
Chroma Strand translucent pink PETG. Seems pretty good so far. I've only been through one other roll of PETG, so don't know how to compare it.

View attachment 414274

Looks like Amazon has a few options on this brand: Chroma Strand Labs. I will have to give them a try.

Your Veracity link points to their ProPLA, not a PETG. But I assume it's good quality too. I'm kinda surprised by the claimed heat performance of that ProPLA, to be honest. On paper it looks like it blows away both PETG and ABS.

I recently started printing with Keene Village Plastics ABS and after a bit of growing pains, I really love the stuff. I have some Veracity ABS on the way since it's the same thing, only cheaper, but fewer color options. I might have to try the ProPLA now that I've seen the specs. Looks interesting.

I am not sure yet I can put in a postive vote for the Overture PETG, so far the roll I am using currently has gone from printing nicely at 245C to now needing to print a 260C to get good layer adhesion and proper feeding. I am about halfway through this roll and so far it seems a bit inconsistent. This is only the third roll of PETG I have worked with though.

I've noticed as the weather has been changing my normally very reliavle PETG has started to act wonky. Humidity is starting to go up, and my ’open’ roles have been quickly absorbing water. I backed this filament drier on Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/730230926/printdry-filament-dryer-20
Feels and looks cheap, but Its really working well, especially for large rolls of filament.

My favorite filament was Raptor PLA which suddenly and mysteriously went out of business. Used it in many rocketry applications including small motor mounts (DMS 38mm) and sub-minimum couplers sitting on top of 75mm forward closures. Heat anneals and hardens the printed filament. Photo shows post-flight coupler after a ride to 34k' on top of a CTI M840 at XPRS last year. It'll fly again on an AT M685 this year if we actually have a launch.

I have used the last remnants of Raptor and am trying Matterhackers PRO Tough PLA but am having trouble getting it to stick to either my Creality CR 10s Pro or Flashforge Creator Pro.

Attachments

• Coupler.JPG
    Coupler.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Coupler.JPG
    Coupler.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 10
My favorite filament was Raptor PLA which suddenly and mysteriously went out of business. Used it in many rocketry applications including small motor mounts (DMS 38mm) and sub-minimum couplers sitting on top of 75mm forward closures. Heat anneals and hardens the printed filament. Photo shows post-flight coupler after a ride to 34k' on top of a CTI M840 at XPRS last year. It'll fly again on an AT M685 this year if we actually have a launch.

I have used the last remnants of Raptor and am trying Matterhackers PRO Tough PLA but am having trouble getting it to stick to either my Creality CR 10s Pro or Flashforge Creator Pro.

That was a good one. Many companies are going belly up. I thought about opening one myself.

Back