Fiberglassing questions...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To simplify things I will post my basic questions...

Has anyone ever used mat fiberglass cloth as opposed to woven?

Also this being my first glassing project, can I wrap my fins or do I need to have one piece of fabric per side. My idea was to wet one side of a fin, lay the glass on it, squeegee, fold glass along leading edge, wet and squeegee opposite side. Wax paper and put about 50 lbs on it.

It was an idea, but then again this is my first time.

Thanks,

Tim

I've done something similar with mid-power fins at one time. The fins were 1/8" plywood but were badly warped.

I took 2oz. fiberglass and cut two sheets slightly larger than the fins (the fins were not rounded or profiled). I then waxed two pieces of plate glass. After applying resin and one of the fiberglass sheets to one side of the fin I placed it, epoxied side down, on one of the glass plates. I then applied resin and fabric to the other side, put the second plate on top, and added two bags of lead shot ( about 50#). After 24 hours I removed the weights and the top plate and the fins were absolutely perfect.

I don't see any reason your idea wouldn't work Tim...But then I don't have any experience with fiberglassing fins...I did paper the fins on my Goony, but used a sheet of paper on each side as the leading edge is curved and wouldn't allow the folding over you have in mind..I say ;go for it..And let us know how it works out..

I think fiberglass mat has binders that only dissolve in polyester resin (but there might be some types that are compatible with epoxy). The only application where I would use it is making a custom (all fiberglass) nose cone.

Back