Feb. ROC launch cancelled

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwinshap1

Reaction score
Sent by the ROC Vice President Greg Lyzenga
Greg Lyzenga said:
Fellow ROC Members,

Despite the optimism of this morning's announcement, we regretfully have to announce the cancellation of the February launch. If you have been following the latest discussion on ROC-Chat, you'll be aware that John Van Norman has been on site today, checking out the conditions in person. It is now clear that the mud and standing water on the playa are too extensive to allow safe access by our club and vendor trailers, not to mention the vehicles of the flyers and spectators.

We remain hopeful that in another month the local water table will have dropped enough to allow the lakebed to dry out and harden to a usable condition. We are sorry to disappoint you all for a second straight month. Of course with all this extra building time, we'll expect to see some *really* great projects flying in March. Stay tuned to ROC-Chat and ROC-announce!

i need to watch flames spit out the back of a rocket :(

Oh no...he's having AP withdrawal attacks!

Braden

lol i've only been to the one regional launch, but there were at least a couple Ms and a couple multi stagers in the K-L range, and now i miss them :cry:

Enough rockets will help clear that up!

Why can't you launch in the snow? maybe rough landings, and that it's cold?

There is no actual road on the field. You come out and actually dig out the entire way to the lauch site, clear a flight line, and a place to put the pads and I'm game for the cold...

Enough rockets will help clear that up!

Why can't you launch in the snow? maybe rough landings, and that it's cold?

We have launched in the snow, thinking that enough rockets will also do away with the manure smell on the field. Not only did that not work, the sun decided to warm up the field and the smell got worse and worse as the day went on. I believe that was during the Valentine's Day Massacare as we dubbed it at Sterling, CT. Anything and everything went wrong that day. We had altimeters not firing mains, altimeters firing mains at apogee, I had a motor go straight through one of my rockets.

The snow helps somewhat as far as landings.

Back