Fans of the movie Passengers...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the one problem I had with Passengers. When A (is that the woman? Doesn't she have a full name? Why aren't we using full names?), is swimming in the pool and the ship looses gravity with Aurora in the "bubble of water", why can't she swim to a side of the bubble? Her hands moving through the water would still create resistance, right? But since I haven't been swimming in any zero gravity water lately, I'm not really sure now...
Just because I get tired of writing their full name, but go for it. 😃

She was able to surface but then a second wave hit causing too much turbulence.

What’s weird is the little “warble” she does when unconscious. It looked like a Fx trick.

I feel like I’m missing the boat on this one. Put me to sleep both times I’ve tried to watch it. And this kind of human centered sci-fi is usually my jam.

I feel like I’m missing the boat on this one. Put me to sleep both times I’ve tried to watch it. And this kind of human centered sci-fi is usually my jam.

You're not the only one. The movie did mediocre at the box office and with critics. I think it's more of a cult classic with a smaller following.

If I could have changed the ending I think it would have gone from good to great. As the movie progresses we see that Jim (Chris Pratt) took a long time to decide to wake up Aurora (Jennifer Lawrence) but finally did - knowing that if he didn't he'd likely go insane but if he did then he was robbing her of the life she wanted to lead on the destination planet. Definitely a decision that Aurora was seriously upset about - for good reason. She hated him for it. And as she finally forgave him the danger became known and they had to fight for their lives.

What I would have changed, is that Jim would end up actually dying as he saved the ship and all the passengers, and his body floated away into space. Then as the credits roll we see scenes of Aurora going through the same things Jim went through as she looked in on a guy she thought was attractive, looked up his file, roamed the lonely ship, time passed, and then she made the same decision to wake up a guy so she'd have some company. The movie could end with him sitting up in the opened hibernation chamber.

If I could have changed the ending I think it would have gone from good to great. As the movie progresses we see that Jim (Chris Pratt) took a long time to decide to wake up Aurora (Jennifer Lawrence) but finally did - knowing that if he didn't he'd likely go insane but if he did then he was robbing her of the life she wanted to lead on the destination planet. Definitely a decision that Aurora was seriously upset about - for good reason. She hated him for it. And as she finally forgave him the danger became known and they had to fight for their lives.

What I would have changed, is that Jim would end up actually dying as he saved the ship and all the passengers, and his body floated away into space. Then as the credits roll we see scenes of Aurora going through the same things Jim went through as she looked in on a guy she thought was attractive, looked up his file, roamed the lonely ship, time passed, and then she made the same decision to wake up a guy so she'd have some company. The movie could end with him sitting up in the opened hibernation chamber.

That would have been cool too!! But, alas, Holly wood doesn't like the main character dyeing at the end.. Tarantino had major issues when they altered teh ending to his fabulous "True Love" film.

This harkens back to the scene where A says "I like her. We'd be friends" and J says "You think you can see that?" The director wanted a movie where the viewers would ask afterwards, what would we've done. Would we've lived alone, suicided, or awoken A?

Imagine if the movie had starred Keanu Reeves and Emily Blunt. Imagine a ship full of their descendants...

https://screenrant.com/passengers-original-script-ending-film/

It could have been even better if they had just adapted A. E. van Vogt's 1944 short story "Far Centaurus"; which may very well have been the first use of the "Sleeper Ship" concept in science fiction.

Clifford Simak and Robert Heinlein are tied for the first to use the "Generation Ship".

Not sure who was first to use relativistic affects as a mean to get around.

There was a book I read in the 80s about Incan villages where they had to give offerings to the Sun god or the sun won't rise. It was strictly forbidden to interbreed between villages. The protagonist was from two villages and was shunned. One day, they didn't perform the offerings and the sun didn't rise.

Turns out they were on a colony ship and everyone was genetically stupid as long as they only married within their tribe. The protagonist was a genius because he was from two villages. It turns out that the crew operating the ship were also genetically stupid and the colony ship went off course. The protagonist was able to figure out how to steer the ship on the right course but would take them several decades to get there. I thought it was an interesting concept on how to get colonists to travel dozens of lightyears going sublight speed.

There was a book I read in the 80s about Incan villages where they had to give offerings to the Sun god or the sun won't rise. It was strictly forbidden to interbreed between villages. The protagonist was from two villages and was shunned. One day, they didn't perform the offerings and the sun didn't rise.

Turns out they were on a colony ship and everyone was genetically stupid as long as they only married within their tribe. The protagonist was a genius because he was from two villages. It turns out that the crew operating the ship were also genetically stupid and the colony ship went off course. The protagonist was able to figure out how to steer the ship on the right course but would take them several decades to get there. I thought it was an interesting concept on how to get colonists to travel dozens of lightyears going sublight speed.
That sounds like this one:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_Universe

There has been several stories about sleeper ships sent out on centuries long voyages, only to arrive at their destination to find long established colonies that arrived via FTL that had been invented not long after the sleeper ships departure.

Dan Thompson tackled this theme very well in his novel "Beneath the Sky".

This harkens back to the scene where A says "I like her. We'd be friends" and J says "You think you can see that?" The director wanted a movie where the viewers would ask afterwards, what would we've done. Would we've lived alone, suicided, or awoken A?

Imagine if the movie had starred Keanu Reeves and Emily Blunt. Imagine a ship full of their descendants...

https://screenrant.com/passengers-original-script-ending-film/

Ugh, I can't believe they thought Gravity and Interstellar were "good", and Passengers was not.

When this thread first popped up, I almost said, "Want to discuss one that is bad? Interstellar.......GO!"........ 😅

Ugh, I can't believe they thought Gravity and Interstellar were "good", and Passengers was not.

When this thread first popped up, I almost said, "Want to discuss one that is bad? Interstellar.......GO!"........ 😅

If you want bad and I mean BAD^10, try watching "Ad Astra".

Interesting

Yes, that's the one.

If you want bad and I mean BAD^10, try watching "Ad Astra".

SPOILERS!
The first half was awesome but lost me when they somehow stopped the ship for the distress signal on their way to Mars. They needed more drama so the producers decided "I know, let's have them come to a sudden stop so they can be attacked by feral space monkeys."

Yes, that's the one.

SPOILERS!
The first half was awesome but lost me when they somehow stopped the ship for the distress signal on their way to Mars. They needed more drama so the producers decided "I know, let's have them come to a sudden stop so they can be attacked by feral space monkeys."
I've heard that about that one, and haven't watched it so far.

I haven’t seen it yet either, but you got my attention with “feral space monkeys”… 😜😜

I think we are straying off topic..

Didn't @neil_w do a scratch build of the ship in Passengers? with the three swirly* outrigger pods? (or something similar.. about 2-3 years ago?)

*Dunno how else to describe them! :D

Back