Estes - Vigilante (K-78 or #1278) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fud91

Reaction score
Successful two-stage launch of my original Estes Vigilante. First time flown in nearly 30 years. Flown with an A8-0/A8-5 combination.

IMG_20131026_204951.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep thinking about doing an upscale of the Vigilante... BT-60 Style.

Nice looking job on the rocket there for one that may be older than many of the people here... I'm guessing that the PPII is close to the same age as the rocket (None of that annoying lightning bolt detail).

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Congrats on a great launch of a classic 2 stager. I renovated my entire fleet from the late 70's - early 80's last winter including a Vigilante. So far I have only flown it single stage from the small field by my home, but I am looking forward to a full 2 stage launch. The Vigilante was always my favorite 2 stager because of its size. It did not go completely out of site.

What did you need to do to launch yours? Mine had to have the tape buttons on the parachute replaced, shock cord replaced (dry rot), and 2 of the fins glued back on the booster. Other than that everything seemed to hold up well for 30 years. I was surprised that the chute itself was still in good condition.

Enjoy that Vigilante, and get some B's and C's in there:point:

I keep thinking about doing an upscale of the Vigilante... BT-60 Style.

Nice looking job on the rocket there for one that may be older than many of the people here... I'm guessing that the PPII is close to the same age as the rocket (None of that annoying lightning bolt detail).

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Yep - circa 1983 on the PPII. Pretty sure I got the Vigi the next year in '84.

Congrats on a great launch of a classic 2 stager. I renovated my entire fleet from the late 70's - early 80's last winter including a Vigilante. So far I have only flown it single stage from the small field by my home, but I am looking forward to a full 2 stage launch. The Vigilante was always my favorite 2 stager because of its size. It did not go completely out of site.

What did you need to do to launch yours? Mine had to have the tape buttons on the parachute replaced, shock cord replaced (dry rot), and 2 of the fins glued back on the booster. Other than that everything seemed to hold up well for 30 years. I was surprised that the chute itself was still in good condition.

Enjoy that Vigilante, and get some B's and C's in there:point:

Yep - along the same lines as you. Fins were good, but shock cord needed replacing. Tape buttons needed replacing although I used some tape discs from Staples which aren't doing so well. That was before I discovered SEMROC, so my next order with them will include about 10 sheets of tape buttons to make sure my shroud lines stay in place. Also redid the decal as mine was cracked and flaking off pretty bad. Found the decal off the "Ye Olde Rocket Plans" page and made some new ones with Testors decal paper and my ink-jet printer. Turned out pretty nice.

Like you, I've been refurbishing a bunch of my rockets from the early 80's, half of which were hand-me-downs from the early 70s. So far this summer/fall I've refurbished:

Centuri Jayhawk
Centuri Egg Crate
Estes Big Bertha
Centuri MX-774
Estes Vigilante
Estes Hercules

It's been a lot of fun. Especially now that my kids are old enough to enjoy the launches too.

Welcome to the Estes Vigilante (K-78 or #1278) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Vigilante (K-78 or #1278) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Vigilante: K-78 or #1278

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Vigilante (K-78 or #1278) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Vigilante Also known as:

NUMBER: K-78 or #1278

Introduced: 1976
Final Year: 1983
Designer:

Type: 2 Stage
Motor Mount: 1x18mm/1x18mm
Recovery: Tumble/Parachute
Stages: 2
Length: 26.5"
Diameter: 1.325"
Span:
Weight: 2.25 oz

Mfg. Description: Ultra high performance two-stage model for flights over 1100 feet. Kit features include impressive kit name decal, low-drag plastic nose cone, and die-cut balsa fins. Sleekly designed upper stage returns via 18" parachute while the booster employs tumble recovery. (Estes 1978 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-vigilante%20k78-1978%20cat.jpg

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

estes-vigilante%20k78-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Successful two-stage launch of my original Estes Vigilante. First time flown in nearly 30 years. Flown with an A8-0/A8-5 combination.

View attachment 151128
I had one back in the 1970's. Sadly, it was destroyed in flight due to a sustainer motor malfunction. I never thought to write to Estes about it back then.

Back