Estes Oracle (#2187)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shade

Reaction score
I have always wanted a camera/video rocket well I got an early Father's Day
Present. Estes Oracle.

I am having issues with downloading test video. Below is my email to Estes
from today. Have not recieved a response yet, I sent it late in the day.
Hope to hear something back Monday.

But maybe one of you fine folks have had the same issue and resolved it.

Dear Estes,

I recently purchased this model and I am have issues saving and viewing test
video from the camera. I have installed the software on 3 different
computer's, all running Window's XP, my main computer that I want to use is
set up as follows:

56GB free hard disk space available
Pentium 4, 2.93 GHz 504 MB RAM
CD-ROM/DVD burner

I have installed the software (and uninstalled it several times) downloaded
your online available software and installed (and uninstalled it several times).
Every time I have the exact same issue.

Everything is fine up to...

Step 5K I download the video from the camera, I can see it in the upper right
of the active window as in Step 5L.

In Step 5L I click once on the image (have tried clicking twice that doesn't
work either); and click once on the transfer button. I get the "save as"
screen, Sometimes I change the file name, sometimes I do not, it does not
matter the results are the same. I click on save, and my problem is nothing
is saved in my folder, I have tried different locations but everytime nothing,
nada, zilch!!!

Do you have a fix for this? or what am I doing wrong?

BTW, I can use the TwainApp software to capture video with the NC camera
while the USB cable is connected, and I can save it. So, I think the
hardware is working correctly and I can see what the camera sees live with
the TwainApp software, but saving the recorded software is not working. I
have not flown the model yet until I can get the camera working well.

Very confused.

Sincerely,
Ron Lemke

Good luck with that...

You'd really have done better to just get one of the little "keychain" cams (like a door unlock keyfob) or gumpack cam (they also sell cigarette lighter, pen, and even sunglasses cams) on Ebay (and elsewhere). They take better video, won't lose the video if you switch it off accidentally or the battery dies before you download it (the keyfob cam records to either internal memory card or a micro-card you can get just about anywhere-- the Estes Oracle stores the vid ONLY in on-board VOLATILE memory). Also, the keyfob cams are 'plug-n-play', meaning NO proprietary or special software necessary to download and view the videos... again unlike the Estes Oracle...

The Oracle/Astrovision also have a REALLY CRAPPY resolution and frame-rate, and can only record VERY short videos (on the order of 30 seconds or so IIRC) whereas the keyfob cams can record for HOURS if you install a big enough card and the lipo battery holds out...

The Estes products are basically the "model T's" of the digital video rockets and the keyfobs are the modern day Honda Civics and Toyota Corollas (or Ford Taurus if you prefer domestics LOL:))

Good luck getting that old software to work and play nicely on a "modern" computer... IIRC that stuff was meant to run on Windows 95 or 99... LOL:)

Later and good luck! OL JR :)

Good luck with that...

You'd really have done better to just get one of the little "keychain" cams (like a door unlock keyfob) or gumpack cam (they also sell cigarette lighter, pen, and even sunglasses cams) on Ebay (and elsewhere). They take better video, won't lose the video if you switch it off accidentally or the battery dies before you download it (the keyfob cam records to either internal memory card or a micro-card you can get just about anywhere-- the Estes Oracle stores the vid ONLY in on-board VOLATILE memory). Also, the keyfob cams are 'plug-n-play', meaning NO proprietary or special software necessary to download and view the videos... again unlike the Estes Oracle...

The Oracle/Astrovision also have a REALLY CRAPPY resolution and frame-rate, and can only record VERY short videos (on the order of 30 seconds or so IIRC) whereas the keyfob cams can record for HOURS if you install a big enough card and the lipo battery holds out...

The Estes products are basically the "model T's" of the digital video rockets and the keyfobs are the modern day Honda Civics and Toyota Corollas (or Ford Taurus if you prefer domestics LOL:))

Good luck getting that old software to work and play nicely on a "modern" computer... IIRC that stuff was meant to run on Windows 95 or 99... LOL:)

Well thanks for all the help on that; my wife surprised me with the gift.

So should I tell her it is a POS now, or do you want to.

I think the best way to handle that is to order a keyfob cam and tell her the video is from the Oracle.

I managed to get a feyfob cam for less than $10 shipped off of ebay. It took about three weeks to get here via slow boat from china. I ordered another one from a U.S.vendor, it took about 4 days to get here but the final cost was like $17. Those prices don't include the cost of a micro sd card which I happened to have already. The last I checked at walmart you could pick up a 4gb micro sd for about 12 or 13 bucks.

There are a bunch of keyfob cam videos on youtube. Check a few out to get an idea of the quality.

As for the Oracle, maybe you can retrofit the nosecone with a modern DVR?

I hope she didn't pay too much for it.

Ron,

I have four Oracles and have flown them with different boosters at different locations.

It always worked well for me. I think I once had some problems when I first loaded the software in one of my computers but it was somehow 'fixed' and I used my Oracle cameras for several years without problems.

The Oracle is pretty dated technology by today's standards. The biggest problem I have had is my laptop's battery dying before I can get the video transferred (I even got a replacement battery for the laptop and the new battery died faster than the old one).

Here's some links to posts that I made on the 'old' TRF which are now in the Archive section about my Oracle experiences:

https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=27038&highlight=oracle

https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=18391&highlight=oracle

There's many threads in the Archive section about the Oracle. Just select 'Archive' and search for 'Oracle'.

Have fun with your Oracle camera and rocket. I just picked up an Altimeter Two at the NSL event today. Maybe I'll fly it with one of my Oracle cameras...

Sorry didn't mean to be a smart@$$ about it...

We've had folks post on here in the past looking high and low for the Oracle or the (equally dismal) Astrovision, and sorry but that's old technology and going to be difficult to integrate into your system and give suboptimal results. Thought the information might be useful to you. If not, well, it's worth what you paid for it... LOL:)

At least you didn't shell out over $200 bucks for a "security encrypted" keyfob cam that they could have gotten on Ebay for $5-10. That one hurt... had the guy posted on here BEFORE he bought it we all could've saved him a TON of money and a lot of grief...

Pretty much told you everything I know about the Astrovision/Oracle... I was in your position once; wanting to get into rocket videography and looking at the options... even several years ago the Oracle/Astrovision were outdated and suboptimal, and overpriced to boot.

Good luck getting it to work... you can handle your wife as you see fit... (I tell mine "cash is your friend" when it comes to gift giving-- LOL:))

Good luck! Later! OL JR :)

PS... you might have better luck loading the software and setting it to "run as administrator" or changing the settings to enhance the compatibility by "running under an older version of windows" (maybe XP would work?). If the file isn't showing up at all but it's working as a webcam, then maybe it's some kind of save or file error-- or maybe it's a codec needed to play the file that's missing off your computer. I dunno; just tossing out ideas. I hope you get some support from Estes but I have a feeling you're going to be very lucky if you do... your best bet is probably someone quite familiar with the Oracle and its software and who is computer savvy... Good luck!

Last edited:
Ron,

I have four Oracles and have flown them with different boosters at different locations.

It always worked well for me. I think I once had some problems when I first loaded the software in one of my computers but it was somehow 'fixed' and I used my Oracle cameras for several years without problems.

The Oracle is pretty dated technology by today's standards. The biggest problem I have had is my laptop's battery dying before I can get the video transferred (I even got a replacement battery for the laptop and the new battery died faster than the old one).

Here's some links to posts that I made on the 'old' TRF which are now in the Archive section about my Oracle experiences:

https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=27038&highlight=oracle

https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=18391&highlight=oracle

There's many threads in the Archive section about the Oracle. Just select 'Archive' and search for 'Oracle'.

Have fun with your Oracle camera and rocket. I just picked up an Altimeter Two at the NSL event today. Maybe I'll fly it with one of my Oracle cameras...
Thanks, I will dig around the archives. I only found 4 thread before starting this one.

PS... you might have better luck loading the software and setting it to "run as administrator" or changing the settings to enhance the compatibility by "running under an older version of windows" (maybe XP would work?). If the file isn't showing up at all but it's working as a webcam, then maybe it's some kind of save or file error-- or maybe it's a codec needed to play the file that's missing off your computer. I dunno; just tossing out ideas. I hope you get some support from Estes but I have a feeling you're going to be very lucky if you do... your best bet is probably someone quite familiar with the Oracle and its software and who is computer savvy... Good luck!

Running as admin now.
Also still running XP SP3, if it aint broke don't fix it, which is
one of the OS that the Oracle software calls out.

I am not getting any save errors it just is not saving anything,
heck at least an error would give me some direction.

Yeah I am not holding my breath for much out of Estes.

If fixing this does not work then I will get a small camera with
a micro SD card and rig it in the Oracle NC. No need to tell
SWMBO then...

On a related note: Where can I find the small mirrors to make
from scratch a DVR NC???

Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited:
Instead of just writing, you might just give Estes a call. Their service department used to be very good. (They have since been sold, but it's likely the same people.) Not only did they get to know you over the phone, they used to know people from their monitoring of forums like this one. It was a little spooky, but sometimes helpful.

So I wouldn't give up on them yet.

That said, the keychain cams do rock.

-LarryC

Instead of just writing, you might just give Estes a call. Their service department used to be very good. (They have since been sold, but it's likely the same people.) Not only did they get to know you over the phone, they used to know people from their monitoring of forums like this one.

You would not happen to have there number would you? I cannot find it on
their website.

Sent a second request to Estes today, received the following response...

The Oracle has been discontinued almost 5 years and the designers are no longer with us. I looked through some old notes and they mention dropping your firewall, loading the software then it should run. We have not had replacement parts for a few years, so if it doesn’t work please return it to the place of purchase.

Christine
Estes Customer Service

Tried it, nothing different.

Now I get to try to return it... :eyeroll:

Sent a second request to Estes today, received the following response...

Tried it, nothing different.

Now I get to try to return it... :eyeroll:

You can try posting on their facebook page. Perhaps airing your situation in an open forum of that size might prompt a more equitable response.

Thanks, I will dig around the archives. I only found 4 thread before starting this one.

Running as admin now.
Also still running XP SP3, if it aint broke don't fix it, which is
one of the OS that the Oracle software calls out.

I am not getting any save errors it just is not saving anything,
heck at least an error would give me some direction.

Yeah I am not holding my breath for much out of Estes.

If fixing this does not work then I will get a small camera with
a micro SD card and rig it in the Oracle NC. No need to tell
SWMBO then...

On a related note: Where can I find the small mirrors to make
from scratch a DVR NC???

Thanks for the input guys.

Guy at the glass shop GAVE me a big chunk of FIRST SURFACE mirror when I asked him about if he could get any first surface mirror when I had to have my windshield replaced (errant buzzard decided to kamikaze my truck). Might check yer local glass shops-- you can cut it with a glass cutter or have them do it for you.

First surface mirror has the reflective coating ON TOP of the glass, so you're not looking THROUGH the glass to the reflective coating underneath. Most optical mirrors for cameras and such use first surface mirrors.

You can get regular backsurface mirror bits at Hobby Lobby in a little bag in the craft dept (with the beads and such) for projects-- I've seen various shapes and sizes.

Good luck! OL JR :)

One other thing--

You don't REALLY want or need a mirror for the keyfob cams-- they're small enough to be mounted on the side of the rocket, of if you want a neater installation (more aerodynamic) a cutout in the side of the payload section would work quite well...

That's what's nice about these things-- about a million ways to mount them and also you can pick/choose your rocket with them...

You can try posting on their facebook page. Perhaps airing your situation in an open forum of that size might prompt a more equitable response.
SWMBO ordered it through Amazon looks the return will be easy an that will
give me plenty $$$ to get a couple key chains cams and micro SD cards. I
already have a Micro to regular SD adapter for my computer.

Guy at the glass shop GAVE me a big chunk of FIRST SURFACE mirror when I asked him about if he could get any first surface mirror when I had to have my windshield replaced (errant buzzard decided to kamikaze my truck). Might check yer local glass shops-- you can cut it with a glass cutter or have them do it for you.

First surface mirror has the reflective coating ON TOP of the glass, so you're not looking THROUGH the glass to the reflective coating underneath. Most optical mirrors for cameras and such use first surface mirrors.

You can get regular backsurface mirror bits at Hobby Lobby in a little bag in the craft dept (with the beads and such) for projects-- I've seen various shapes and sizes.

Yup know first surface mirrors we use them in spectroscopy. Glass store it is.

One other thing--

You don't REALLY want or need a mirror for the keyfob cams-- they're small enough to be mounted on the side of the rocket, of if you want a neater installation (more aerodynamic) a cutout in the side of the payload section would work quite well...

That's what's nice about these things-- about a million ways to mount them and also you can pick/choose your rocket with them...

I will search on cams here and then start a new thread asking more dumb questions about them.

Maybe a virus checker is interfering? Try making a folder on the C drive called temp (C:\temp) and try saving to that folder. Does anything save there?

Maybe installing the software to a temp folder too???

Does the software say anything on the "status" line at the bottom after you try to save?

All else fails, try looking at Windows Event Viewer. (Control Panel/Administration Tools/Open "Event Viewer") Choose the "Applications" folder and double click each entry/log to see if it relates to your problem.

Good luck!

Pat

Maybe a virus checker is interfering? Try making a folder on the C drive called temp (C:\temp) and try saving to that folder. Does anything save there?

Maybe installing the software to a temp folder too???

Does the software say anything on the "status" line at the bottom after you try to save?

All else fails, try looking at Windows Event Viewer. (Control Panel/Administration Tools/Open "Event Viewer") Choose the "Applications" folder and double click each entry/log to see if it relates to your problem.

Good luck!

Pat
Turned the virus checker off...

Checked the logs and status bars nothing, nada, zilch.

The return is in progess, I will use the money to purchase a couple of key
chain fob cameras and micro SD chip and scratch build a video bay!

But thanks for the reply.

Turned the virus checker off...

Checked the logs and status bars nothing, nada, zilch.

The return is in progess, I will use the money to purchase a couple of key
chain fob cameras and micro SD chip and scratch build a video bay!

But thanks for the reply.

Think you'll be happier that way...

The results from the Oracle/Astrovision are pretty shabby IMHO anyway-- the keyfob cams are a Maserati and the Oracle is a golf cart... LOL:)

Here's some links for you to read up on them if you're interested...

https://www.chucklohr.com/808/

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1115052

Lots of good stuff in there!

Later! OL JR :)

I also think you are wasting your time trying to get the Estes camera to work. I don't have one of the little keychain cameras, but I've compared the youtube videos of those with the Estes Oracle and the keychain camers are soooooo much better.

On the bright side your wife bought you something cool that was rocketry related. Ya gotta love her for that! :D

You can always make a couple of lists of cool little gadgets that you would both like and give it to the other person. I've done that with my wife. I put the item, approximate cost and even the store/wewbsite on the list.

Last edited:
I also think you are wasting your time trying to get the Estes camera to work. I don't have one of the little keychain cameras, but I've compared the youtube videos of those with the Estes Oracle and the keychain camers are soooooo much better.

On the bright side your wife bought you something cool that was rocketry related. Ya gotta love her for that! :D

You can always make a couple of lists of cool little gadgets that you would both like and give it to the other person. I've done that with my wife. I put the item, approximate cost and even the store/wewbsite on the list.

Yup, already sent her this link for Christmas...

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Saturn5.asp

But it will be modified to a 5 engine cluster.

Last edited:
I had this same problem and what I found was that the solution to this problem was I just had to get a program that runs .avi and then i was able to save and run the video taken video with the Orcle cone. Hope this help.

I had this same problem and what I found was that the solution to this problem was I just had to get a program that runs .avi and then i was able to save and run the video taken video with the Orcle cone. Hope this help.

I had several programs on my computer that would play AVI file formats
I could not get it to save on my computer. I have already returned it for
a full refund, that reminds me I have to check the CC bill and make sure
they credited my acct.

I had several programs on my computer that would play AVI file formats
I could not get it to save on my computer. I have already returned it for
a full refund, that reminds me I have to check the CC bill and make sure
they credited my acct.
Credit received. Lesson learned, and cheaply.

I just got one of these yesterday for my birthday and after reading this I'm not too sure about it. I didn't ask for it and my sister won it at a Tricky-Tray Auction so there is no return. Funny thing is that she doesn't remember putting tickets in for it either. I have Vista on this computer.

I just got one of these yesterday for my birthday and after reading this I'm not too sure about it. I didn't ask for it and my sister won it at a Tricky-Tray Auction so there is no return. Funny thing is that she doesn't remember putting tickets in for it either. I have Vista on this computer.

Nothing posted here has changed...

At least you have a really nice collectible... probably end up being worth more New In Box in about 20-30 years than it's worth now by a longshot...

Think you'll be happier that way...

The results from the Oracle/Astrovision are pretty shabby IMHO anyway-- the keyfob cams are a Maserati and the Oracle is a golf cart... LOL:)

Cool. I've had my Maserati dive bomb a telephone wire and get hung up on a guy wire. I SO rock.:horse:

They got it for nothing and so did I. If I can't get the software to work I can at least just launch it. I'm not much about keeping something in the hopes that it might be worth a bunch one day. If I did I would have kept all my baseball cards as a kid and kept them in pristine condition.;)

Latest posts

Back