Estes Mercury Redstone _ Liberty Bell 7 - kit # 2167

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverleaf

Reaction score
After winning this item on Ebay, I spent thr better part of 4 days putting it together, and now that I'm done, a review of the kit seemed like a good idea.

The Package :

Exellent photo on the front, and all parts were in immaculate condition. All tubes were clean with the sustainer tube lower section having pre-slotted fins. Molded plastic pieces were flash-free, and were very detailed - with the exception of the tower assembly.

The Instructions :

While the layout was clean and concise, as soon as I saw them, my heart sank lower than low. Estes has completely eliminated all written instructions while making it a straight image assembly, AND more importantly, I felt shortchanged in regards to my normal model rocketry experience.

Comeone guys, you remember this - ( for those of you that read the instructions before throwing it together - you know who you are ) sitting down and reading each step, and referring to the parts, tests fitting and basically getting into the rocket before it was even assembled. Heck, looking at the Star Trek kit makes me pine, because the detail alone in the instructions make this kit a blast to build.

They did the job adequately, BUT there was a cheapness that I felt overall.

The Assembly :

Very smooth throughout, with the two sustainer tubes fitting properly and an excellent large coupler - which solidified the two together. The plastic 2 part fins easily fit together, and were tight fitting from the getgo.

The motor mount was a unique design - for an Estes that is, since it incorporated a normal motor mount ( for a B or C motor ), which then slid into 2 plastic retainers. One on top, and one which made up the bottom of the rocket. 4 small plastic runners - which were the ' tracks " for the fins were then glued on, and the whole assembly smoothly slid into the sustainer.

The fins slid into the fin canister smoothly, and showed a tight and clean fit.

The Liberty Bell 7 capsule was pristine, and when I used liquid Tenax 7R glue, or Micro-Weld to attach them, it was one of the best and seamless fits I've ever had - especially for a flying rocket. Extreme rivet detail is seen throughout the capsule - which adds a ton of realism.

My only complaint was the lack of detail on the tower, and IF you refer back to the original Estes MR, you will see that the company decided to really take some short cuts - gone was the tower base - it was a solid molded part that simply glued around the antenna array.

Decals :

This in my estimation was the worst thing I've seen in model rocketry in a long time.

They decided to make the decals peel-offs, which did aid in ease of finishing the rocket. Yes, this also aided in finishing because I could simply unpeel the " wrap " as I was applying it around the sustainer if I was off on alignment - which did happen the first time. Ok - thats a good thing...

BUT what bothered me was I had to trim each decal just inside a dotted line, which made the decals on the fins not fit properly. I needed to touch up every area of the decals on the fins, which wasn't hard, but just a pain.

Unlike a normal water-soluable decal these decals keep their air bubbles intact, so you ned to use a larger needle, OR make a small slit with a sharp exacto knife to extract the air.

If you use a product like Micro-Sol or Poly S to attach the normal water decal, you can simply add more solution to rewet or move if needed. By popping the bubble, rewetting and smoothing with a brush - well, it's the only way to get a seemless, smooth decal in this writer's opinion.

I also had to cut out all 4 fin slots after applying the bottom wrap, which while not a pain, would make a young modeler a bit squeamish - so adult supervision for the exacto is the norm.

Finishing / recovery:

Simple white, black, and red are required to finish the Redstone, with at least 4 coats of matte clearcote to seal and give the rocket some depth.

I've never been a fan of the two parachute method for the Redstone, simply because you have to have a string attached to the tower - outside the rocket on launch, so that the 12 inch parachute will balance the capsule and tower properly on ejection.

But the 18 and 12 inch parachutes will work. My only other complaint - the big purple 18 inch parachute looks great, yet they included that nasty orange 12 incher - make them both the same color I say.

Tower Detail

I added wiring to each of the struts at the base of the tower, and included a white hose between each strut at the base for extra detail. It was fairly simple to do, and added just that extra bit of realism. I need to get my camera fixed, then I'll post a pic of it.

Motor recommended is a B6-4 ( first flight ), C6-3 OR C6-5

Overall :

While the kit was solid in design, had great detail on the capsule, and included through the fin construction, I did find the instructions and decals to be a real turn off for me. Thats sad too, since I'm a scale freak. Yes, I would purchase this model again, but I would try to find some way to circumvent the decals and add more detail to the tower assembly.

Yes, I'm one of those guys that years later looks at my directions and says..yeah, that was fun..hmm, now where is that tubing - shoot, I need another capsule...

I do recommend this kit for the rocketeer looking for a weekend project, or as a way to introduce a child to the hobby. This kit is a Skill level 2 project.

Thanks,

R.S. Barker ( Silverleaf )

After everyone here was jumping up and down about getting everything under the sun rocketry for 5 cents on the dollar at hobby lobby recently, I got upset and went out in search of deals to every store I thought of that might have rockets in my area (no hobby lobbys here). I found a Michaels that had a number of redstones for about 10 bucks (clearance) so I got one even after reading generally mixed reviews around the net... anyway haven't built it but for anyone looking, check out your local Michael's...

Not only are they marked down to $10.00, but Michaels had a coupon in Sunday's paper for 40% off any one item. That makes it a $6.00 kit!! This is worth it even if you just want the tower to build a Little Joe using Yitah Wu's plans.

Back to the review theme...:D

Santa brought me one last year. I had also heard the mixed reviews about the kit so I started the build wondering what to expect. The one thing that really stands out is the lack of words on the instructions, it's almost all pictures. I started out by filling the spirals in the body tubes, and painting all of the parts white that needed to be white. Then I followed the instructions and kept a close look on the EMRR Reviews for any Gotcha's. The one thing that I will stress is TEST FIT! Test fit evrything. It sure makes the kit easier to build. I also read that the rocket will go unstable if the parachute gets pushed too far into the body tube. I fixed that by adding a Centuri-style Baffle in the tube coupler. Not only does this eliminate the possibility of the parachute going down too fat, it also virtually eliminates the use of recovery wadding, and with the big body tube, it sure swallows a lot of wadding. I also added a kevlar shock cord that is mounted on the motor mount and snaked through the baffle. I really do not like the self-adhesive decals, and would prefer the water-slide variety. Also there are a lot of nit-pickers that accurately point out the wrong number on the booster and the improper number of corrugations on the capsule and other minutae, however, I can't tell those things once it flies into the sky :D

The one flight that I have had went perfect. The two part recovery is a pain, but it allowed more kids to bring back rocket parts. If I was flying by myself, I would use one parachute.

"This is worth it even if you just want the tower to build a Little Joe using Yitah Wu's plans."

I'm in the middle of just such a project. Are his plans accessible via the web or does he offer a plan pack or what? I'd love to have a little direction as to where to go with this project. Seems like I do the old one step up, two steps back whenever I find the time to work on it.

Fish, I e-mailed Yitah way back when my LJ was still all in peices. Never heard back from him. Then after mine was completed, I finally got word from him that one of his computers had crashed and when he figures out what he did he would send me a copy of the instructions, that was a couple of months ago. Still haven't heard back yet.

If I can help in any way let me know....but mine was a complety scratch(your head)project..............Marty

Nor will you hear from Yitah (probably). He announced his leaving the hobby (perhaps, pausing) since he became a new daddy.

Regards,
Nick

My wife & kids bought me a Redstone for Christmas. The cheesy stick-on decals were disappointing but otherwise I had fun with it. If they'd been better quality I would have filled in the spirals and gone crazy on scale detail. Only later did I think of ordering customs from Tango Papa! Anyway I pretty much ignored the instructions and just used the hints from EMRR. That really prevented disaster in a couple of places.

Finally got to fly it last week and it was great. A real nice straight boost, which stood out compared to the Orbital Transport we flew that day. It weathercocked like you wouldn't believe. Anyway, the Estes redstone really makes me want to get the 4" Neubauer kit.

It also made me pine for the OOP Mercury Atlas! Fortunately was able to pick one up from Yitah on auction. It turned out great and I can't wait to fly it.

Bottom line is pick up the few good Estes kits that are left whenever they're available. Still need to get that Saturn V...:D

Originally posted by astronboy
Not only are they marked down to $10.00, but Michaels had a coupon in Sunday's paper for 40% off any one item. That makes it a $6.00 kit!!

I went to several Michael's in my area and found the Merc/Redstone in stock at several. (They were marked down to $14 here.) The first store would not honor the 40%-off coupon because the kit was on sale, so I found it at another store and they DID take the coupon, so I got one for $9 with Texas taxes.

Something else I noticed was a sale on Estes motors. Only one Michaels store had Ds, and they were clearing them out (BIG mark-down). None of the other stores had Ds. One store had a half-price mark-down on 1/4As.

It may be worth it to make a stop-and-see at a Michaels near you (no, I don't get paid for this plug) and see if anything good is on sale.

It may also be the end of reasonably-priced Ds, because W-mart doesn't have them anymore either. At places like Hob Lob, a pkg of three Ds goes for around $13, also at the local hobby shops. I am definitely gonna miss $10 D-packs at W-mart.

I built this kit too but I painted on all the markings except the MR 8's on the BT- these I made on my printer with some clear decal sheet. I couldn't deal with those stickers.

Back