Estes "Majestic" on AeroTech F20 Motor?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronicabill

Reaction score
I have a new Majestic that hasn't been flown yet. The kit box recommends only one size of motor... an Estes F15. I have some Estes F motors, but not F15's. However, I have several AeroTech EconoJet F20's that are just waiting to be flown in something!

Any idea if the Majestic can handle the EconoJet motors? I suspect I would need to add a bit of weight to the nose to comp for the slightly heavier AT motor, but I sure am tempted to try one at the next club launch!

Edit to add: Additional info which I feel confirms the EconoJet "should" work okay...

Estes F15 total impulse = 49.61 N-sec
AT Econojet F20W = 55.1 N-sec

Not a large enough increase in thrust to hurt anything... right?

Last edited:
I have flown the AeroTech RMS 24/60 F-35 successfully in both the Quest Minotaur and the Estes Q-(Somethingorother) Explorer with no additional nose weight.

Great flights with both rockets.

Even without bothering to look it up I feel comfortable saying that the F20W is lighter than the F15. Those BP motors are *heavy*.

Also, in general, the Estes PSII rockets can take a lot more thrust than the BP motors can give. Just tape over the leading edge of the fins, so air can't get in and blow them apart if the rocket achieves very high speeds. Shouldn't be an issue for the F20, though.

Even without bothering to look it up I feel comfortable saying that the F20W is lighter than the F15. Those BP motors are *heavy*.
<<snip>>
I was just guessing; haven't bothered to weigh them yet... but I suspect you are right.

A Majestic will fly great on that F20... go for it!

The reason that Estes only recommends one F motor is because they only make one F motor. Just about any model rocket F motor will be fine... as will be most G motors.
Don't think I'd want to fly it on a G motor without converting the rocket to dual-deploy, or using a Jolly Logic chute release to prevent serious drift!

I've flown my stock majestic 7 times on the G76. It goes to about 3200 ft. The problem is, the majestic is at the edge of stable for the 29/40-120 motors. Out of my 7 flights it was only stable for 4 of them. Just make sure to simulate it before flying and check if you need noseweight. If you are worried about strength, it should be able to hold up pretty well.

The F20 will work fine, as long as it has a long enough delay. Same goes for any of the EconoJets (or whatever they are rebranding them to), F23, F27, F42. If it’s a bit high, you could use a 24/29 adapter and fly it on an E20 or F44.

Yes the F20 works great but you will want the 7 sec. delay. I've flown mine on the F20-7 one time and it flew great. The F20 is lighter than the black powder F motors so stability shouldn't be an issue.

If you want something with a little less altitude the E20-7 works great as well. I've even gotten a few flights on the D12-3. Not sure why Estes only put one motor on the list of recommended.

A 12" chute is also your friend at those altitudes if you're landing on something relatively soft like grass.

Back