Estes looks like they are doing a limited sale again... (Father's Day?)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People have done it. The only required modification is to leave the motor block out so that an H motor will fit in it. Typically people also upgrade the recovery gear a bit too. The Leviathan will go really high on even a baby H, so there's a chance of losing it. To keep from risking motor hardware or just to keep your investment down, I'd recommend an Aerotech DMS motor --- no hardware to buy, and you have the ability to set your delay. There's something very attractive about an L1 rocket for $22.50 flying a cert flight on a $29 single use motor! Go for it!

I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking I'd actually fly it on something G powered first to make sure I actually stand a chance of recovering it on an H :p

Money orders are great, BUT.....the item still arrives at your door for the wife to find out. I was at work and checked tracking on a package and it said delivered.
I get home and my package is missing from the porch. Wife says "We got a package sitting over there that just arrived. what did you buy for my anniversary?" ..:-(

Guys! Just like with rockets, success requires a lot of prep work. Start an argument with your wife and then make the order and later claim you were mad at her, so you bought something. :kill:

(Please see my disclaimer below.)

I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking I'd actually fly it on something G powered first to make sure I actually stand a chance of recovering it on an H :p

Absolutley. I would definitely do that. I like to fly my Leviathan at our club's low power launches which have a 1,000 foot ceiling, and I mostly use Aerotech Econojet F motors for that, because they are affordable, and keep under the ceiling, and come in different propellant types --- F20, F23, F27, F42.

For Aerotech single-use G motors, I like the longer burning ones like G38 and G40. But the others that are much faster and come in different propellants are cool too --- G77, G78, G79, and G80. All those G's will put it up pretty high. I'd try those first. Do some sims and see how high it is going on G's, and then do some sims for a single use DMS H115 or an H135, and see if you think you will recover it safely. It's going to go pretty high! If you are comfortable, you could make the L1 attempt. If not, you have a great mid-power rocket for F and G flights.

*Sigh* After already ordering two sets of the main four pro-series rockets... I caved in and placed an order for another six of them. Time to order some more Tite-Bond...

*Sigh* After already ordering two sets of the main four pro-series rockets... I caved in and placed an order for another six of them. Time to order some more Tite-Bond...

You poor soul! lol

Actually, don't feel bad...I bought them over a year ago when they were on special for $27.99. Then again when they had all 4 for I think it was $80 (now that was a deal!). If they ever discontinue them (which Estes is known to do), you and I won't regret our decisions and even if they don't, it's one heckuva deal.
Until then, we can enjoy our bounty of booty. :cheers:

Just bought the Ventris and Partizon for a total of 51.75. I was going to buy just one until I found out that shipping was the same for an additional rocket. Now if I decide to get my L1 later down the road, I won't have to spend that on just one rocket. What a deal. I had 8 dollars in bonus points deducted from my order from buying a couple catalogs from them in the past.

The sale no longer exists.

They'll likely have it again...they've had sales on these 4 PSIIs maybe 4-5 times in the past year...although it seems to be less frequent recently. Just check the Estes "Specials" site once a week or so...sometimes they have a crazy sale (I got the Mega Mosquito set for $8 and other deals like that).

Shout out to Hobbylinc - after their mention in this thread I went to their site and ordered a Nike Smoke and a few other things. The box was packed well but arrived crushed (thanks USPS) and the main tube for the NS was beyond saving.

I sent hobbylinc a message and they replied promptly. I filled out an RMA as per their instructions and the replacement tube was on the way in under 24 hours priority mail (for free since I had spent the $0.95 to insure the first package) - it arrived today well packed and in good shape.

Great customer service and response times.

Zeb

Back