Estes Little Joe II on D12-5/D-12-3?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackiboi_11

Reaction score
I was wondering if I can fly the little Joe ll on a D motor instead of an E30-4t because i have i’m going to see my cousins soon and i don’t have the right igniter for the E30-4t. Thanks

Depending on the weight of your build I'd say yes. I've built and flown the Little Joe II on a D12-3. It was a very low flight and defiantly needed that 3 sec. delay as the 5 would have been WAY too long.

I disagree with the above. Flying it on a D12-3 will give you a marginal and risky flight at best, not what you want when flying a delicate model like the Little Joe 2.

I am also curious as to why you would have an E30-4T but not the igniter for it.

Not to speak for the original poster but back when Estes sold these relabeled Aerotech motors they sold the #2305 Sonic Igniter separately - not hard to imagine why someone might not have one on hand.

The current Aerotech First Fire Jr would work fine and aren’t too tough to come by if the OP would rather use their E30 or just order a 2 pack of QJet E26-4 and have twice the fun!

Not to speak for the original poster but back when Estes sold these relabeled Aerotech motors they sold the #2305 Sonic Igniter separately - not hard to imagine why someone might not have one on hand.

The current Aerotech First Fire Jr would work fine and aren’t too tough to come by if the OP would rather use their E30 or just order a 2 pack of QJet E26-4 and have twice the fun!
I was wondering if maybe he meant "controller," rather than "igniter." That would make more sense if all he has is an Estes 4-AA electron beam. Or what you say is also possible.

I disagree with the above. Flying it on a D12-3 will give you a marginal and risky flight at best, not what you want when flying a delicate model like the Little Joe 2.

I am also curious as to why you would have an E30-4T but not the igniter for it.

I agree it is a delicate rocket so you are taking a risk as you're only looking at about 300ft at apogee depending on weight. A lot could happen. If it's windy it could weather cock. If the chute doesn't open immediately you could have an issue

I should clarify that mine weights 8.5oz (242 Grams) complete with chute, and wadding. At that weight I'm safe at a touch over 31mph off a 48" rod and I'm seeing just over 300ft at apogee.

If the OP's rocket weights more or they are launching off a shorter rod there could be an issue. I certainly would not recommend launching off anything shorter than 48". At this point that kit is out of production so you need to ask yourself if you really want to take that chance.

I was wondering if maybe he meant "controller," rather than "igniter." That would make more sense if all he has is an Estes 4-AA electron beam. Or what you say is also possible.
Nah man, its the sonic igniter, My original motors came with them but I ended up losing one of them because im not the most organized person.

I took the risk with a d12-3 and it went almost perfect. There was a little wind so the path was a little wonky but it went a max of 200 feet and the delay was pretty good!

I took the risk with a d12-3 and it went almost perfect. There was a little wind so the path was a little wonky but it went a max of 200 feet and the delay was pretty good!

Nice. I do like flying mine on a D12-3 as there is close to no chance of losing it assuming it doesn't crash.

The E20-4 is a nice motor for this rocket as well but you are going to get about 550ft.

Back