Estes Leviathan (Over) Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I built a second Leviathan because I was unsure of the first build. The launch was mostly successful, but had an early deployment. I did manage to get my level 1 certification. :cool: I still need to mail in the paperwork. Video below.

https://youtu.be/pF3viAxCsBU

Congrats on the certification!

Looks like you learned a lot with this build and certification! That is the fun of rocketry to learn how to do things better! Every time I build or fly i learn something new....for instance yesterday I learned that sometimes West + Fillers on a warm day makes for a really big chunk of goo in my epoxy pot before I'm done applying the fillets. That last fillet is UGLY and CHUNKY and I'll need some serious sanding to get it to look good! Lesson learned!

Level on on an estes kit. I thought I would never see that day. It is definitely a more readily available option. Congrats.

Thanks all.

Yes, I was worried about the Estes kit holding up to a high power motor. That is why I put all the JB weld into the first kit I built (still haven't flown it). Tightbond II is the main adhesive used in the second kit, which I used in the certification. The kit held up fine. I was glad I modified the recovery system, which made me need the weight in the nose cone, which lead the the early parachute deployment... It was nice to learn on less expensive kits, as compared to some of the larger stuff out there.

I did use the 40% off coupon a the local Hobby Lobby to get both kits.

Thanks to the guys at the Tri City Rocketeers club who helped me out and witnessed the launch. I wanted to stay longer but was outvoted by my family (who were nice enough to come along for the ride).

I am thinking of making a L1 / FAR 101 rocket with dual deployment. Once I figure that out, I think I will go for a L2 cert. Maybe this time next year.

Well first of all, congrats on the L1! I am impressed that you put your mind to it and did it as you planned! I'm glad to hear you built a second (better) model for it. It seems throughout the thread that you've been open to suggestions from more experienced people, and you put all the good advice together and L1'ed on an Estes kit! I think you should claim that you're the first one to do so until someone can prove they did it earlier. Anyways. I like to build zipperless rockets, although I don't think of them as zipperless. I just think of them as where my chute needs to be if I want any kind of electronics bay. Great job on the baffle! I definitely think that I (still a newbie to rocketry myself) have learned that many times less is more. I try to build smarter, not stronger or bigger, etc. I have used Gorilla Glue, which is tremendously strong however DON'T USE IT EXTERNALLY! It will expand, bubble, and is nearly impossible to sand without some serious filing. I use small, cheap screws to hold my nose on. I have a giant multi-sized screw kit I bought from Wal*Mart for like $4.99 I think. I just pick three from it and try to place them evenly. They usually stick out a small amount, but I doubt it's of much aerodynamic concern and they have never given me a problem. I'm in the middle of a Leviathan build myself (see the other mid powered thread), and am excited to see someone else working on the kit to make it the best it can be. I don't plan to L1 with mine (since I have a LOC Forte standing by I plan to use), but I will certainly not hesitate to slap the G80 in my Leviathan if it flies nice on the F's. Once again, great job! No matter what anyone thinks or says,,, you did it...

Last edited:
I think you should claim that you're the first one to do so until someone can prove they did it earlier.

I did :D. Partizon flew like a dream on that H133. Arrow straight to 3000 feet or so. Of course, it won't take more than a Baby H. But it was enough.

It's like me and backagain are in the group of crazies that L1 on Estes kits. Now one of us (or someone else) should glass one and L2 on it :y:

Back