Estes Leviathan - Fin problems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
I bought an Estes Leviathan a few weeks ago and upon inspection of the parts, I noticed the fins were warped badly. I contacted Estes about it and they honored their warranty by sending a whole new kit. I opened it up and lo and behold the fins in it were warped too.

Now. is there any way to get these fins to 'unwarp'? I'm not going to contact them again as I would not feel right trying to claim warranty on the same issue. I had expected to get a replacement set of fins but as their great customer service is, they sent this whole new one. I'm also concerned about the type of ply. I usually buy lite ply that has 5 or 7 layers but this one has only 3. It's almost like luan.

I'm thinking I can wipe it with a wet towel or something but I'm hoping to get some feedback on tried and true methods.

Thanks.

Dampen the fins and clamp them between two big flat things! Wait overnight to allow them to dry.

Alex

The next step is to dampen, clamp and heat. Warm up the oven a bit, place the clamped fins within. Turn off the heat and leave overnight. Make sure you leave a note on the stove so it's not turned on to preheat for the dinner chicken:)

Back