Estes DOM - Plan 81 Nimbus

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious - where can I find decals for this kit? I'm working on putting together a parts list and have most of the building parts, but cannot seem to find any decals for this one. Or does this kit even have decals and you're just using your own patterns/designs?
DOM means Design of the Month - Estes had a monthly contest for folks to submit designs for publication in their newsletter. We’re talking about a hard copy paper newsletter here, not email or digital 😉 So no, there’s no formal decals for regular DOM rockets though there were a couple that ended up as production kits (like the Top Secret) from other vendors.

Here’s a link to the Model Rocket News section of JimZ’s website, he has tons of archived instructions, plans, newsletters etc. Sorry, I have no idea which issue the Nimbus was in.

http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/mrn.htm

Last edited:
Thanks! That's what I thought. I was just admiring the photo(s) I did find of the finished model, and thought maybe someone designed or otherwise published a generic set of decals/patterns to use with these plans.
eirp_81@.png

Thanks! That's what I thought. I was just admiring the photo(s) I did find of the finished model, and thought maybe someone designed or otherwise published a generic set of decals/patterns to use with these plans.
View attachment 502331
It is a good looking rocket - my take would be SR-71 like, black with minimal stars and bars. A BT60 based upsize looks like an interesting idea 💡

DOM means Design of the Month - Estes had a monthly contest for folks to submit designs for publication in their newsletter. We’re talking about a hard copy paper newsletter here, not email or digital 😉 So no, there’s no formal decals for regular DOM rockets though there were a couple that ended up as production kits (like the Top Secret) from other vendors.

@Scott_650 I always thought the Top Secret was a great looking rocket, but who produced it?

North Coast has an upsized version called the Hyperswift with a 2.64” main body tube. I’m mostly sure there were some “garage vendor” outfits who had a version too. Sorry I don’t have the specifics immediately at hand - getting old 😉

Understand the getting old part - ha. That's so funny, I knew about the Hyperswift but never made that connection. Now I might have to get one.

Ok, so I built the model from the Estes DOM Plan 81. I figured out that the upper rudders had the Estes Citation Patriot fin decals turned upside down, and the rest I'm just winging it. This was a really fun build! I'll post pics when it's completely finished and ready to launch. I plan on flying it this coming weekend - figured it would be Independance Day worthy. Still have to work out the ejection/recovery steps - reason is because I glued the shock cord (kevlar) to the motor mount when building it, and then noticed in the plans that the shock cord connects to the outside body like a tether but is not connected to the motor mount nor does it use a shock cord mount. At any rate, hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• nimbus1.jpg
    nimbus1.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 0
  • nimbus2.jpg
    nimbus2.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 0
  • nimbus3.jpg
    nimbus3.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 0
Ok, so I built the model from the Estes DOM Plan 81. I figured out that the upper rudders had the Estes Citation Patriot fin decals turned upside down, and the rest I'm just winging it. This was a really fun build! I'll post pics when it's completely finished and ready to launch. I plan on flying it this coming weekend - figured it would be Independance Day worthy. Still have to work out the ejection/recovery steps - reason is because I glued the shock cord (kevlar) to the motor mount when building it, and then noticed in the plans that the shock cord connects to the outside body like a tether but is not connected to the motor mount nor does it use a shock cord mount. At any rate, hope you enjoy.
Looks really good! I still haven't landed on a final finish for mine. Please post some launch pics if you get the chance. :)

According to the plans, the external shock cord is located at the cg, this allows for a horizontal orientation during recovery, which gives the illusion of a gliding descent. The Centuri SR-71 also used a similar external rigging of the shock cord, it does look cool for plane type rockets to have a horizontal recovery.

Bonus points if you can build one of these like a Skydart - with a rear eject through tube that ejects the nose weight and add a deployable elevator to trim for glide - and make it actually glide on recovery.

Back