Estes controller - new version in 2008?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shreadvector

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Many of you old timers remember the original version of the Electron beam controller that screwed together and allowed for easy modification since you could access the guts.

You also should recall that modern Estes controllers evolved to a glued or welded together version where internal access was difficult or impossible.

Someone showed up at a club launch with a relatively new controller that was screwed together. This was a black Electron Beam, with black bulb protector dome, and self-ejecting key tethered to the controller AND it had the new humongous sticker attached to explain to the user how the key works (since the average American does not read the instructions and the average Older American tries to operate it like they did when they were in junior high school in the 1970's and that key is not the same....).

So, anyone else see this? I can't peek at the average starter set on the Wal-Mart shelf since they are all cardboard boxes these days.

If this is indeed a new version, perhaps we need to revise our rewiring advice and information?

I don't know. I just got a new controller in the box with the Astrovision starter set I got for Father's Day and it's the same controller I got in my starter set a year or two ago. No screws.

Screws sure would make it easier to modify for 12V.

maybe some of us will go buy those uber-discounted sets at Target and find out? They seem to be dumping rockets. No idea if it's seasonal or a paradigm shift in the toy dept, but the store seems to be filled with "CLEARANCE" tags in every dept.

Well, if a new controller will be in anything, it'll be in that new "night launch" set with the light-up rocket (Don't remember the name right now, and there ain't no new catalog or web site to look it up in... ;))

Well, if a new controller will be in anything, it'll be in that new "night launch" set with the light-up rocket (Don't remember the name right now, and there ain't no new catalog or web site to look it up in... ;))

The controller looks the same as controllers of the recent past, it is simply screwed together like they were many years ago.

That is why I called it a "new version" and not a "new controller".

It's the Estes Astrobeam. I'll have to check mine. I bought one about a month ago but have yet to even open the box. I'll try to remember to check tonight and I can let ya'll know.
Craig

...(since the average American does not read the instructions and the average Older American tries to operate it like they did when they were in junior high school in the 1970's and that key is not the same

That would have been me. I tore the back off trying to figure out why the safety key wasn't making contact.

I don't need a controller backshell with screws, because now mine is held on with tape. :)

When Estes sells product to Target, it is only a seasonal sale (since Target does not stock hobby items, unlike WalMart). When the season is up, Target uses clearance prices to purge the inventory - that's why you are seeing that pricing. They likely will not carry rockets again until next spring, if they purchase in their normal pattern.

Matt

maybe some of us will go buy those uber-discounted sets at Target and find out? They seem to be dumping rockets. No idea if it's seasonal or a paradigm shift in the toy dept, but the store seems to be filled with "CLEARANCE" tags in every dept.

I picked up the night launch set it had the same glued togther controller as the other launch set I picked up.

The Targets around me seem to have B/C engines and at least 1 type of RTF starter set on the shelves year-round.

The Targets around me seem to have B/C engines and at least 1 type of RTF starter set on the shelves year-round.

Based on how many years of observation and when exactly was the last time you were in there? (and "What Exit?")

Targets around here have only carried them since last Fall (IIRC...) and now are dumping them. And we don't have a bad flying season. Neener, neener.:p

My Target has model rocket stuff year round, not seasonally. There are no clearance or discount labels. Maybe different Targets in different regions have different policies. My Target is in Port Orange, FL.

"My Target has model rocket stuff year round, not seasonally. < SNIP > My Target is in Port Orange, FL."

Well, that explains it. Your flying season is year round! :D
Craig

"My Target has model rocket stuff year round, not seasonally. < SNIP > My Target is in Port Orange, FL."

Well, that explains it. Your flying season is year round! :D
Craig

I never thought of it that way!

I was there just yesterday. No dumping yet.

... Screws sure would make it easier to modify for 12V.

I have taken apart about 10 of the controllers that don't have screws. If you are careful, you can get the back off without breaking it. I generally run a screwdriver around the crack between the top and bottom until the unit can be pried apart. The posts for the screws are still there!! At least in the ones I have taken apart. Find a couple of self threading screws, drill two tiny holes in the back (the correct spots have an indent), and screw it back together.

Sorry it took me so long to get back with my answer...I checked the controller that came with my Astrobeam (as best as I could, I left it in the package to give as a gift to a budding rocketeer). It is without screws.
Craig

I bought a starter set on closeout at Target yesterday and peeked inside. No screws. I'll add a battery compartment bypass and re-sell it to someone at a club launch along with a more powerful battery pack.

Back