Es6209 epoxy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highflyer1968

Reaction score
I've seen videos of es6209 for fillets outside and inside fillets along motor tube. I've been told inside fillets should have jb weld. Is there anything wrong with es6209 for the inside or can it not take the heat at all like jb weld. It seems like es6209 would be easier to make fillets with.

so little science and so many myths.

A certified motor case can't exceed 200 C max temp.
The motor tube is a insulator and a place that has some heat soak. Depending on the type it can be a great insulator (G10) you can root around and get the specific heat capacity...
you can calculate the maximum steady state temp on the outside of the motor tube at the maximum hottest point. (design worse case analysis here)
then find the maximum working temp for the Es6209 after full cure (the data sheet claims 700 psi on a aluminum to aluminum bond at 140 degrees) so I'd contact aeropoxy.

I can tell you I've used it for exactly your application on my L3 project which now has 50+ flights on it. Still strong!

6209 is fine for internal fillets - I use it quite a bit. I have never used it for external fillets only because I prefer Proline4500!

Thanks guys it looks like I will try the 6209 for the next rocket which I think will be the PML Eclipse.

Back