Epoxy Syringe?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Jello

Reaction score
I've been reading over the instructions for the Wildman Darkstar Jr. I think I'm going to buy:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7801353/Wildman Darkstar Jr Instructions.pdf
Syringe.jpg

And it mentions injecting epoxy into body tube holes to create internal fillets. He recommends a 10ml syringe to do this. Where do you guys get these and the tips? Also, can the be cleaned, or are they a one-per-use kind of thing? Thanks.

Last edited:
You can get them from any pharmacy . They are near the children's medicine. I have used the same one for many builds. I squeeze out all the epoxy and then let it cure. The epoxy will not stick to the inside of the syringe. It will " pick out" very easily .

I thought of that as I have young kids and those are always around. The ones we usually get don't really have pointy tips though. I'll have to look at the ones they sell.

Really pointy tips aren't great.

I bought a pack of 100 oral syringes on Amazon for 20 bucks, but they have a little bit of oil coating the inside so I clean them out before using them (for weighing out epoxy hardener). The 5712 hardener turns crusty and nasty, so I use syringes only once.

I haven't used them for injecting yet, but they probably would work fine and like Griffin said the epoxy could probably be cracked out.

I go to a farm supply store in the animal care section they have many sizes. Farm and Fleet. Fleet Farm.
gp

If you get some from the pharmacy, make sure you get Luer-slip tips, not Luer-lock. It is much easier to get the slip tips into the holes for injecting internal fillets.

You can get a box of 100 from Amazon for $17, and they're sterile so there's no oils or other stuff. They're Luer-lock, though, so you have to balance the cheaper cost (a box of Luer-slip is $32) against harder to get the epoxy into the hole.

If it's epoxy I use it once & dispose. If it's foam, I rinse it out and re-use.

<edit> just found these, $13 for a box of 100 10cc Luer-slip, sterile.

All the best, James

Last edited:
Those look perfect James, but what do you use for tips?

And see what happens when I try not to pester you directly with questions? You end up helping me anyway. :)

My wife has a friend who is a pharmacist and she just acquired 10 of these for free:

Syringe 2.jpg

Not sure if these are luer-slip or not.

That is Luer-slip. And free...! Hit the jackpot there, buddy.

All the best, James

Ok, but what do you use for tips? It seems too big and blunt to use as is.

You're after what are called 'catheter tip' syringes -- they're designed to slip into a catheter, as opposed to locking onto a needle.

-Kevin

I got some from my vet. Had to explain what they were for. No problem once they stopped laughing.

Yup, I get them from the local country feed store, 25c each and they come in a plastic shroud that is great for ejection charges.

---

I get the smaller ones (3-5cc) for filets, larger ones for foam injection etc.

I use Monoject 412's. Curved tip. Helps get into tight spots.

monoject.jpg

Those look absolutely perfect. I assume they are single use with epoxy? It looks like it'd be really hard to get it out of that tip.

You must cut the tip back & at a 45 degree angle.
Actually the first ones you showed are the ones in the instructions.
They fit easily into a 3/16 hole.
Do not go through to the MM tube, just barely into the airframe or it will back splash all over the place. Inject S-L-O-W-L-Y.

Anything will work, even the ones that take screw on tips.....just cut the flange away and use the center!

Here's my silly question on this topic: How do you fill the syringes? Seems like you have to drip the mixed epoxy into the syringe barrel and then replace the plunger. Yes?

By the way, my LHS sells the curved tip monoject syringes and a local industrial fasteners and supplies shop sells a MUCH larger version (60cc) that looks to be a lot easier to fill and use.

Oh no. Just dip the tip into the epoxy and pull back the plunger. It will draw up into the syringe with suction.

What's a LHS?

I use 50cc syringes. I bought a box of them several years ago.

To fill them, I pull the plunger, then hold it in my left hand, with my pinkie covering the tip. Pour in the epoxy, then put the plunger just into the syringe. Flip it over, remove pinky, then "burp" the syringe.

Sticking the tip in and using the plunger to suck it in doesn't work very well after it's thickened.

As for vets laughing, I once got my doc to write a prescription for IV bags for use in my former aquarium hobby.

-Kevin

What's a LHS?

Local Hobby Shop. (Some people use LHS for local hardware store, but it's usually hobby shop in this context.)

Why not fill the syringes from the back? It seems like that would be a better way to do it, since you wouldn't have to keep drawing in epoxy. But, I have no experience with this kind of thing. :)

EDIT: I once asked my dentist for one of the angled brushes like they applied a fluoride treatment with, for painting the inside of an afterburner can on a plastic model. Also, when I went to get my back X-rayed, I brought my unhatched fossilized dinosaur egg and had them X-ray it to see if there were any fetal remains. (The machine wasn't powerful enough, so it was impossible to tell. Looks like I'll have to get it CT scanned.) :D

Last edited:
Loctite has a dual syringe epoxy I use--the stuff is great --and comes with a mixing tip that works outstanding--just shoot and go--down side--it cures rather quickly and once used you have to discard the tip ! Only two come in the pack--You would think you could get a pack of 6 seperatly , but no-HMMM. Anyway, I use it for nice clean mmt's and fin fillets. Once you've used up the tips ya gotta mix as usual--Oh well!!!

I took one of the ones I got from the pharmacist and used a Dremel to shave down the tip. I got it to about 1/8".

Syringe 3.jpg

They might cost a little more than pharmacy syringes, but West Marine sells epoxy syringes with long tips that can be trimmed down to whatever size you need.

0017141_300.jpeg

West Marine has been my go-to source, but it sounds like I'm paying WAY too much. Think I'll check Amazon.

In quantity, you can purchase them for .40 each. Here's an example...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MONOJECT-4...444?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cab47c604

Funny story... I ordered a box a while back from a dental supply house, similar to the above link. I opened the box when they arrived, and realized they shipped the wrong box. I received a box of 100 syringes with needles. They quickly swapped them out for me, quickly realizing the huge mistake ( not to mention a huge difference in price ).

Ive cleaned mine out with rubbing alcohol and used them again. Only took me one syringe to build my darkstar! They are also useful for measuring epoxy.

Alex

Latest posts

Back