Enerjet Pterodactyl help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would you want progressive thrust? It is the most stressful thrust profile for the airframe and results in lower acceleration off the pad. Once manufacturers figured out how to do segmented grains more easily these went by the wayside. The D12 actually has a nicer thrust curve IMHO.
"Back in the day", everyone was "chasing Mach 1" in Model Rocketry.

A progressive-thrust motor offsets ever-increasing aerodynamic drag, as the Transonic Region is approached and passed through, into Mach 1+.

Also, the ENERJET engine casings were filament-wound fiberglass, with integral Graphite Nozzle and Forward Closure . . . The core-burning design "insulated" the casing, until near the end of the burn. End-Burning Composites were unheard of, until AEROTECH came out with End-Burning "Warp 9" motors, decades later.

MOTORS by NCR - North Coast Rocketry - "Back In The Day" . . .

1691534590586.png

Last edited:
Nope, end burners came out way-y-y before that.. E6's and F10's, which are slotted end burners, appeared in the early1980's and I first saw them at LDRS 2 or 3 in Medina OH. Prior to that Gary R had the odd end burner in the Composite Dynamics line, I recall an E9. Vulcan made some F12 end burners in the late 1980's. The graphite forward closures in the Enerjets were labor intensive and wasteful, but cool.

Nope, end burners came out way-y-y before that.. E6's and F10's, which are slotted end burners, appeared in the early1980's and I first saw them at LDRS 2 or 3 in Medina OH. Prior to that Gary R had the odd end burner in the Composite Dynamics line, I recall an E9. Vulcan made some F12 end burners in the late 1980's. The graphite forward closures in the Enerjets were labor intensive and wasteful, but cool.
@MJ D You joined TRF just to resurrect an old thread about the Enerjet Dactyl and old motors? Cool! đź‘Ť:cool:

LOL I was searching for references to the Pterodactyl - it had just popped into my head for some reason - and I didn't pay a lot of attention to the age of the thread, I just started yakking away..

Latest posts

Back