Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler a.k.a. Fill 'n Finish NEW FORMULA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r12ski

Reaction score
I was at my local Home Depot yesterday buying some supplies and noticed that the regular CWF is no longer available. Now they sell Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler MAX.
IMG_2184-web.jpg
Upon opening I noticed the CWF MAX is wetter. Not watered down per se, just a more fluid consistency. I actually welcome this change because – if you can't tell from my pics – the original formula seems to get pretty dry after a while. Plus, you have to thin the original for body tubes and even more for fins. I would say it looks like it can be applied directly on BT spirals without any water then maybe a 1:1 ratio of water to new formula for fins.
IMG_2186-web.jpg
I plan on giving the new formula a test drive. I'll update with my thoughts.

I just apply some wood glue to the fin, and then scrape it off while it is still wet with a razor blade. The fins feel so smooth that you wouldn't believe it.

Let us know how it works out. I have not used the new type.

A few months ago when there was some level of worry that CWF was going away in favor of the "Superior Staining" CWF, I bought a BUNCH of it in different sized tubes/tubs. I have a "lifetime" supply though it will probably dry out before I ide...

A few months ago when there was some level of worry that CWF was going away in favor of the "Superior Staining" CWF, I bought a BUNCH of it in different sized tubes/tubs. I have a "lifetime" supply though it will probably dry out before I ide...

It seems to last rather well in unopened / factory sealed containers. But the seal is a joke once you open it. The first thing you should do after opening these containers is to transfer the material to a jar with a proper seal. I use several smaller jars so that (1) the majority of the material is never exposed to air and (2) the air space in the active jar is minimized.

I noticed this 2 weeks ago when I went looking for the Elmer's CWF at the recommendation of you guys here. Since I didn't know, I skipped the MAX. I found that the old kind is still carried by Lowes and in smaller tubes in Walmart.

I noticed this 2 weeks ago when I went looking for the Elmer's CWF at the recommendation of you guys here. Since I didn't know, I skipped the MAX. I found that the old kind is still carried by Lowes and in smaller tubes in Walmart.

I used the Wood Filler Max once on an Estes Der Red Max I built a few weeks ago. I used red Valspar paint (my first time using Valspar). I had many large bubbles show up on the fins. None on the body, seems the paint and the filler were reacting in a bad way.

I'll go back to using Aerogloss and sitting in a garage with the door open while wearing an organic respirator......

If you want the regular stuff in small quantities, this is how it looks at Walmart. That container also probably solves the drying out issue.

2012-08-01 12.12.51.jpg

I tried the Max version and didn't like it. It appeared to have some sort of grainy additive to make it stronger, but less sandable. I couldn't get rid of the little chunky pieces of what ever material was used as the additive.

I can see where it would be a nice wood filler where its hardness would be beneficial, but bad for using on cardboard tubes.

The Ace Hardware here carries the original in all sizes. I picked up a 2 oz. container to have on hand for future builds. Should last me a while.

Back