• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted Ellis Mountain 54mm motor hardware and/or reload parts lists

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for Ellis Mountain 54mm cases, closures and nozzles, and instruction sheets for either the J148 or K475. (Or any other reload that fit any of his 54mm cases.) If you have a reload kit, even a picture of the parts list would be useful, assuming it lists parts dimensions. His cases were anodized black and were either 14" or 26.25" long. (1200 or 2500 case.) They typically had an integral thrust ring. The internal diameter is slightly different than standard reloadable cases – they don't use standard casting tube/liner sizes.

If you have hardware you'd like to sell, PM a photo and what you'd like for it, with shipping. If you have an instruction sheet, a photo that shows dimensions would be fantastic.

Thank you,

Tony

Tony,

Thanks for that detective work! I had found most of those links, but not the first one which is the most useful. The other data I'd really like to find are the o-ring sizes. I have quite a few EM liner and casting tube sets for the 54mm motors, which is why I'm looking for confirmation of the numbers. It's not worth a huge amount of grief to try and use them (compared to the cost of typical 54mm casting tube sets) but I'd hate to just throw them all out.

I also have bunch of his single use casing material, but that seems less likely to ever get used, except maybe for the smaller sizes.

Tony (the other, other Tony)

Last edited:
I don't think I have any of the 54mm stuff. Have a bunch of the 38mm stuff (full set of casings and and a handful of reloads). Additionally have an M1000 rolling around in the box... Really would like to figure out if there's anything I can do to prevent the aft end blow-out issue that was common on these motors.

The 38mm motors have been reliable for me. I also have a couple of the 75mm cases. I do recall an issue with the M1000, I think it was related to heat-soak on that long burn.

What is interesting about the 38mm reloads is there is no liner – you just stuff the grains in the case and go. He also had to use a spacer with a lot his motors since he used a standard grain size that did not always match the case length.

I have a bunch of cases and closures/nozzles that would be useful to characterize propellant if I could find casting tubes. Otherwise the Loki 2 grain case seems to be about perfect.

Tony

Latest posts

Back