Ejection Charge powder current options?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conneryc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So, getting back into HPR after a 20 year break and I see that Black Powder is nearly impossible to find currently. Apparently this is due to the explosive designation (hasn't it always been?) and the fact that it is no longer made in the US. It seems to me that the only viable alternative is FFFg Triple 7 powder. Burns cleaner that BP or Pyrodex (nasty stuff) but you have to contain it more to get the correct pressure wave.

Any other choices that might warrant a try?

Anyone in the North/East Texas area know who might actually have some BP for sale?

Thanks
Connery
NAR#77226 LVL2

Black powder is out there, maybe not 4F that people prefer, but it’s available - both imported from Europe and from GOEX(now owned by Estes). If you don’t want to pay the hefty hazmat and shipping fee and just need to build some conventional reloadable motors here’s the path of least resistance https://www.buyrocketmotors.com/ejection-charge-kit-12-pack/. Pricey by the ounce but outside of buying a can of powder at the local muzzleloader supply store you can’t beat the convenience.

Yes, but I was hoping to find it locally to avoid the Hazmat fee's. Might just have to bite the bullet and do it anyways if testing with the fffg Triple 7 powder doesn't pan out.
Get together with several other friends and order several pounds (and motors). Split the hazmat between you.

Looks like you're going to have to head to the DFW area if you want to save on hazmat. There's a Bass Pro in south Garland. I'd call first to make sure they have what you want in stock.

I find over the years folks tried to use other BP grinds with varying results. The no brainer is to use 4F, get it wherever you can. One can will last an average flier a long time. Unless they progress to monster products that require "10's of grams" or more at each position and they do a lot of flying. Teaming up with other fliers can help unless a flier is alone and has to travel longer distances to get to a launch. Might not be any other fliers nearby they could share an order with. That $30.00 Schuetzen will last a long time. Buy it was some hazmat motors as mentioned above. That will help spread out "the pain" as you'll be getting some "zip" for your rockets too.
Kurt

Back